Siemens Profinet IO and Profibus DP-V1 Comms

b1b

Any insight greatly appreciated.

I need to communicate to a slave device (non Siemens)
with a siemens plc with profinet and profibus DP-V1 for
testing purposes.

Any ideas on the cheapest plc that will get the job done and
what software do I need to do it?
Just step7 basic, pro? winCC?

I looked at S7-300 but they seem high, would an S7-200 work?
What is the most cost effective way to do this?

Cables? I dont know of good vendors other than turck any cost effective cable manufacturers or websites would be helpful as well.

Thx in advance!

The S7-200 is obsolete, and I'm not sure if it ever supported Profinet IO.

The S7-1200 is the current micro plc family from Siemens. It has Profinet built in, and can control Profibus from an additional communications card. It would be programmed with Step 7 basic. WinCC Basic is included in that, which should allow you to build (and simulate) a Basic Panel. You didn't mention if you actually need an HMI or not, I typically find them more helpful than watch tables even for bench testing.

Hey thanks for the reply, yea I found this et200s im151-8.

http://w3.siemens.com/mcms/distribu...s/et200s/interface-modules/pages/default.aspx

appears to have both. PN and PB.

I am new to siemens, im not a guru by any means with PLC's but spent a few years in AB/mitsu/GE. Basically all i need to do is talk to a slave that has an anybus card in it for development purposes. i dont even need IO just comms.

So wincc is included in step7 basic, and it will let you build a PC based HMI?(i.e. you dont have to have a physical hmi?) that sounds great!!

An IM151-8 has PN onboard. For Profibus, you have to add the Profibus Master module (6ES7138-4HA00-0AB0).
Even with the extra Profibus Master module it is the lowest cost option for a Profibus master CPU with STEP7 Classic.

An S7-1200 can also be a Profibus master with the add-on CM1243-5 module.

i dont even need IO just comms.
There is no such thing as "just comms". If the devices are Profinet IO Devices, or Profibus Slave devices, it may be the easiest to configure them as just that, IO Devices.

So wincc is included in step7 basic, and it will let you build a PC based HMI
Simatic "classic" (STEP7 v5.5 and WinCC Flexible) does not include the HMI software in the basic STEP7 license. You would have to purchase WinCC Flexible Advanced for making the HMI program, and a WinCC Flexible PC RT to run it on the target PC.

Simatic TIA (STEP7 v13 and WinCC v13) includes WinCC Basic in the STEP7 license. But WinCC Basic can only be used for the socalled Basic Panels.
For a PC RT, you need to purchase WinCC v13 Advanced for making the HMI program, and a WinCC v13 PC RT to run it on the target PC

So wincc is included in step7 basic, and it will let you build a PC based HMI?(i.e. you dont have to have a physical hmi?) that sounds great!!

Not quite.

As Jesper said, there are many flavors of WinCC. WinCC Basic (for the Basic Panels) is included with Step 7 basic (for the S7-1200. However, one feature of the software, if you do a full install, is that it allows you to simulate the screens you generate for your Basic Panel HMI on your engineering PC. You will get a nag window every 10 minutes or so, indicating that you don't have a PC runtime license.

It isn't a full PC runtime, which has greatly increased functionality as compared to a basic panel. However, the panel simulation can still connect to a PLC, and do whatever a Basic panel could do. This functionality is intended for testing purposes only, you would need a PC Runtime license, as well as WinCC Advanced, if you want to program a real PC runtime system.