Advice on data collection from PLC

elwillson

I have a need to do a fair amount of data collection of information in the PLC. My only option so far has been to write VB code and use AB RSLinx to retrieve data from the PLC, which I then insert into tables in an Oracle database. What alternatives are out there? I've heard of something called "WonderWare" - does anyone have any experience with this?

Wonderware is generally classified as SCADA software. There are a number of similar packages - Fix DMACS by Intellutioni, Lookout from National Instruments, etc. Almost all of them have the ability to do data logging and trending of real time and historical data. Most of them will also save the logged data to hard disk in CSV (comma separted variable) or other file types that can be imported to spreadhseets or data base programs.

ODBC SQL SCADA HMI and other random letters of the alphabet

Lots of SCADA packages will do the ODBC/SQL thing to an Oracle database. Wonderware (Intouch) doesn't do it natively, but there is an add-on package in FasctorySuite called InSQL, which is built arround Microsoft's SQL Server. I suspect it could talk to Oracle, too, but I've never been down that path.

Intellutions iFIX (as they call their product these days) does SQL calls fairly well, and can talk to Oracle, even using scipts in Oracle instead of having to embed the SQL call in either a SQT/SQD tag or as a script. With your VB esperience, this may be the best package for you, since Intellution has exposed more of its VBA object model than any other SCADA vendor.

Since you mention AB, Rockwell also has a SCADA package, RSView, which also does ODBC, but usually to a .dbf format. (it's been a while - my info may be out-of-date.)

You may also want to take a look at Rockwell's RSSQL program. If all you are trying to do is move data from an AB PLC into Oracle, this is the package for you! That's all it does (whereas SCADA are usually used as HMIs - interfaces between human and machine), and it does it well and easily and FAST. It monitors the PLC for the trigger condition, then gets the data and puts it in the table. Very user-friendly (asuming you understand AB PLC data structure and SQL, of course). Its only drawback: $$$

As Tom said, there are others. The above are just the ones that I have the most experience wiht.

Last edited:
Confession of Ignorance

Ok, I've seen the acronym all over but never the whole thing spelled out....

What the heck does SCADA stand for....???

(gimme a break... all my schooling is in mechanical engineering... I just play an electrical/controls engineer on TV :) )

Plc data logging

Hey I can't answer your question but maybe you can answer mine.
We have 3 grout plants that have Melsec A series with the A2Ncpu that is obsolete. We use a monarch DC 6000 for the information that gets us by. We would like to use just our data Collector and not the PLC. Can someone point me in the right direction please

Slurryman

I have a need to do a fair amount of data collection of information in the PLC. My only option so far has been to write VB code and use AB RSLinx to retrieve data from the PLC, which I then insert into tables in an Oracle database. What alternatives are out there? I've heard of something called "WonderWare" - does anyone have any experience with this?

Inductive Automation Ignition has to be the best product out there to get any PLC data into/out of any database that supports a Java Database Connection

We use a tManager Card fits in a ControlLogix rack it can be used for SQL, Oracle or IBM. Made by OLDI optimizel Softing. We have used one for years and has worked well with no problems.