Wireless Serial Communications

nico

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF, OR WORKED WITH ANY COMPANIES THAT MANUFACTURE OR SELL WIRELESS SERIAL COMMUNICATIONS DEVICES. I NEED TO TRANSFER ASCII INFO. FROM A CRANE SCALE THAT WOULD NOT BE PRACTICLE TO HARDWIRE SO I WOULD LIKE TO TRANSFER THE INFO. TO MY PLC VIA A WIRELESS SERIAL CONNECTION......ANY SUGGESTIONS??????
ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED

THANKS
NICO

We have used the Elpro modems in the past both serial and digtial units. An similar application to yours was on six cranes on a common building site to stop them from swinging into each other, this was done in the mid 90's. The PLC's used were omron CQM1's using the Omron Serial Host Protocol. Out of the number of PLC manufactures the Omron protocol was the easiest, robust and fault tolerent to use. We have also done a number of remote pumping stations controls using their products also. Never had one come back. They have developed a new range though now called 905 series. The model u would be after is the 905U-D Radio Modem series. The web link is http://www.elprotech.com/elpro/905d.htm for info on their serial modem, it has been deisgned for Nth & Sth American markets along with the Aussie/NZ markets in mind. I have found the euipment to be most reliable, our local support has been excellent. The distributor has been knid enough to lend us a couple of test units now and then to try out.

I have also used the ADAM units from Advantech..www.advantech.com, however I prefer the Elpro units simply because this is their core business and i know i'm going to get someone who knows what their talking about.

Hope this helps....... :D