Non-AB 1756-BA2 batteries... your experiences?

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
How has your experience been using non-Allen Bradley 1756-BA2 batteries? Would you use them in all instances, or limited applications? Any other thoughts? Do you have a preferred source?

MicroLogix 1100 from fleaBay here; came without the battery.

I bought one at my local ex-Radio Shack, my soldering technique is dodgy at best, I had to gin up the connector by scraping the corner of something I found in my desk with a knife to make the key, and spent longer looking at pictures online to get the polarity right than it would have cost to order an OEM part, but it seems to work.

It is a hobby for me (no liability issue), so YMMV, but apparently there is no such thing as an A-B-flavored electron.

If I was in industry I would not waste time like that though: I would have a regular N-annual replacement schedule.

Last edited:
Rockwell of course say that you could affect you PLC warranty if you do not use their battery....

We needed PLC5 batteries (about 20) to do the site...and of course Routeco quoted list as about £140 each..:ROFLMAO:
So, yes we had to buy elsewhere, still not cheap, but much better than Routeco. In my younger days, we used to make our own PLC5 batteries, but for whatever reason, soldering was easier then....

Thanks guys!

I sell a couple hundred a month and only had one complaint but I think they bought a SLC battery and used it on a ControlLogix series A

I am a reseller for Fedco Batteries, they are assembled here in USA and I really think there are only a few battery manufacturers across the world, just like a lot of other things they are just relabeled, AB does not make batteries they just resell them

Here are mine https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-controllogix-1756-l6x-b-battery-1756-ba2/

I bought a few from an online battery store and the normal life of a few years was only 6 months for their batteries.

I was getting genuine AB batteries after that for a while until I found GIT sells good ones for considerably less then RA.

I have used ones from RS just un-soldered the connector & soldered on to the new battery, I have probably changed 200-300 of these over the years, no idea what the life is but then again we always changed them once a year, however, I do have an old FX PLC here at home and the battery was an RS one fitted 3 years ago, it has not been powered up until last week when I was sorting out some old junk, it was still ok.
Remember you have to use lithium (not re-chargeable) though.

You CAN find the correct Lithium Cell WITH the PCB lugs (where you would solder your wires)

If I remember correctly Varta do them.

But to be honest, by the time you've bought those and fiddled around soldering wires to it, and then putting it into a heat shrink sleeve, GITs ready-made replacements would work out far cheaper (and probably use the same cells that the A-B ones are made with !!)

And please - don't try soldering wires directly (i.e. without the lugs attached) to either pole of the battery - these batteries contain Lithium - treat them with the utmost respect !

Last edited:
Thanks Dabba, I forgot to mention they must have tabs or you could loose your fingers lol.

I wasn't sure what to call them, lugs, tabs, or whatever, but these are spot welded to the pole plates before the cells are constructed and the nasty stuff is put in.

Lithium reacts readily with water, and with gaseous oxygen at elevated temperatures, which as anyone knows makes up 21% of air.

I do feel concerned with your use of "lol" at the end of your post. I use LiPo batteries in my R/C models, and like most of our fraternity we charge them in fireproof "safes", just in case they decide to rupture. I've seen fires from ruptured Lithium cells, and they are quite spectacular and voracious.

And the name is daba, not Dabba, "lol" !