Omron SYSWIN 3.4

Matthias Von Zorn

M
Ive been given a small job on an omron C series controller, and Ive a very simple question. How do you make a bit?! Ive no problem addressing an input or output, but for the life of me, I cant find an internal bit, or anything in help about it. Im sure you just asign it some xxxx.xx number like an input or output. Thanks!

Hi.
You are correct in your assumption.
I used omron a few years back and I remember all you do is use the address of Inputs or Outputs above the I/O count of your PLC. For example if you had 16 physical outputs, output 17 onwards can be used as internal markers.
Sorry a bit vague. Give it a try.

Chris :D

Omron C-Series PLCs use the IR area as work bits. Depending upon what PLC that you are using determines where the internal bits start in the Omron memory map. Safe areas in all Omron C-Series PLCs are IR210.00 through IR231.15
Post what PLC that are you are using and I will post the memory map.
lolis

Cant say I am really thrilled with the idea that outputs above what the real outputs are become internal bits. That has got to be confusing. What if you need to expand the system at a later date, do you have to reassign the internal bits?

You're right Goody, and normally you wouldn't use input or output bits as internal coils for the reason you mentioned...

But in actuality you CAN use them. And yes, if you decide to add more I/O, you would have to re-map any I/O bits you used as internal bits.

I would think the only time this would be "useful" was if you ran out of internal bits to use? Even on the old Omron bricks with limited memory, I never "ran out" of internal bits, even within a large program.

beerchug

-Eric

You must be specific on what omron plc model your referring to, normally it is indicated in manual how the memory are allocated. Typical memory addressing of omrom plc is the same as any other plcs but varies in how manufacturers call them, for example IR area, this data area covers your I/O and work address, SR area are normally system flags with specific function to the plc, refer to your manual.

Going back to your question about addressing, you must understand the concept of words and bits. For example, IR 001.02 - digits from the left refers to the word address, the last 2 digits after the decimal point refers to the bit on that particular word.

thanks

Thanks! Sorry for the delay, a power outage messed up our CSU/DSU on the T1 here, so I spent all yesterday fixing it.... I was able to get my paws on a manual for the controler, and it is in fact 016.00 to 095.15. Overall, ive found the software very frustrating, especially the lack of drag and drop and the inability to move to another line unless the one your on is completly finished. It seems quite out of date. Even the save and open features still use a windows 3.1 interface!! BTW it is a CQM1 PLC. Thanks again!

Hi,
I would fully agree with comments about not using I/O for internal coils.
I think the PLC was a C20H brick type unit and remember the manual says to use internal bits (outputs) above the I/O count.
I think Mathia reply above seems to indicate he has to use output coils as internal bits. I have the manual in my loft and will look it up if anyone is interested.

Keep up the good work guys.

With the old Omron C-series, there was really no such thing as dedicated input and output bits. IOW, you didn't address them as I# or O#. There were 18 total words, and depending on the amount of physical I/O, words got allocated to the I/O starting with word 0. Inputs were assigned to even numbered words, and the outputs to odd numbered words.

If you maxed out the physical I/O, it would "eat up" words 0 through 10, so 11 throuch 18 could safely be used as "work bits" (internal coils). You can't use 1808-1815 as they are reserved as "special relays".

I used to "reserve" bits in my programs based on the function codes. For example, function 13 is the differentiate up (DIFU(13)) instruction, so I used bits 1300 through 1315 for all my "one-shots". Same thing for DIFD(14) and KEEP(11). This just helped keep things straight in my head...

Since you rarely needed ALL the physical I/O, unmapped words below 11 got used as work bits because they were just sitting there asking to be used!... :D

beerchug

-Eric

There are diff. cpu model for CQM1 cpu11/21/41/42/43/44/45, their memory mapping are identical but will only vary on their I/O capacity. If it is cpu 11/21 then it has 128 I/O points or 8 words.
See table below for the rest of the model,

CPU | 11/21 | 41-45
INPUT WD | 000-003 | 000-005
OUTPUT WD | 100-103 | 100-105
I/O pts. | 128 | 192

Due to the fact that the CQM1 can address either all input or all output, a better memory map for above would be:

CPU 11/21 41/42/43/44/45 After Dec. 1995
Input WD 000-007 000-011 000-015
OutputWD 100-107 100-111 100-115
Total I/O 128 192 256

Use of IR Addresses from 016-095 and 116-195 have no connection to the I/O in the CQM1.
Therefore, they can be safely used for internal work bits.
Safe areas in all Omron CQM1 PLCs are also IR210.00 through IR231.15.
Of course, there is the data retentive area HR00.00 through HR99.15.

lolis

Last edited:
Warning

Jay Anthony stated: "Safe areas in all Omron CQM1 PLCs are also IR210.00 through IR231.15. " This is a bit incorrect. They start from IR ,that is SR 200.00.

Jay Anthony stated: "Safe areas in all Omron CQM1 PLCs are also IR210.00 through IR231.15. " This is a bit incorrect. They start from IR ,that is SR 200.00.

There was a good reason for stating that IR210.00 through IR231.15 are safe areas. The CQM1H has dedicated CPU I/O boards that address from 200.00-209.15. BTW, SR area begins at 232.00 .

Actually it does not matter so much that you share internal relays with physical I/O unless you (a) don't give yourself enough space for expansion or (b) set up a shift register who's end word happens to be in a coil area .
In the first case you have to remap , in the second case you'll find that all the little lights flash on and off!

Does anyone know of a source (free), for the software needed to link to a Omron CQM1 PLC? I need to communicate with one and the software can't be found.