FactoryTalk View Studio Issue

Steve Cav

Hi,

I have release 9.00.00 and have developed several applications. However, today I went into an application and needed to update the tag for an item (connection) so went into properties for the item and selected the connections tab. I then clicked the tag box (3 dots) to change the tag and the whole of View Studio locked up and would not recover. In the end I had no choice to end task. I then tried several other objects with the same result. Then tried other applications, again with the same result. I can however click in the tag itself (under tag / expression) and change manually it works.

Any ideas?
Steve

So the FTView Studio was working fine on your computer before today?

Check if you had any Windows updates installed yesterday or today, if there were any installed, then uninstall them.

Try a "hard reboot" of your computer: power it off completely, wait 15 sec, then power it on again.

Another thing to try, download the latest FTView patches from the Rockwell website.

If that doesn't work, you may have to uninstall and reinstall FTView.

no windows update. Worked yesterday without issue. Not installed any patches but as PC has not been connected to internet for weeks that should be irrelevant.

Looking like a reinstall but am off work at the moment and going to clients tomorrow so no chance of getting the disks to reinstall!

Oh man, what a bummer situation! I was thinking that you could use the application manager to "copy" the application, then try it with the copy. I'm doubting that it will do anything in your case since it is happening to multiple applications. I suppose though, it's easy to try...

Oh man, what a bummer situation! I was thinking that you could use the application manager to "copy" the application, then try it with the copy. I'm doubting that it will do anything in your case since it is happening to multiple applications. I suppose though, it's easy to try...

I tried but no success.

I'm wondering something else now. If you export the screen and open it in Notepad++, I wonder of you'd be able to see anything corrupt in it?

Or maybe, export the screen and re-import it.

I'm again skeptical since multiple projects seem to have the problem. It's seeming more and more like the tag browser dialog is goofed up.

As I type this, one more thing comes to mind. Since the tag browser contains the link to your PLC via the communication shortcut, maybe delete and re-create the PLC shortcut under Communication Setup. Another long shot...

Ooh, another thing I'm thinking of, the very bottom of the window in FTVS has the diagnostic information, anything interesting being displayed in there? Warnings or errors?

Lastly, there is a program called FactoryTalk Diagnostic Counter Monitor. Never used it myself, bu there is a tab in the middle of the window that has FactoryTalk Diagnostics Messages, maybe there is something useful there?

Just throwing out random ideas as they passing through my head....

Oh wait, KB46758 suggest that it is "locking up" because the tag browser is opening off screen. I ran into a similar problem years ago when switching between dual/single monitors. Of course, I'm sure there are other ways to cause it.

You can tell if this is the problem by clicking the ellipse (...), then press escape on the keyboard. If it appears to no longer be "locked up" then it was opening, just off the screen somewhere.

The KB gives a few solutions to get the window back if that is in fact the problem.