How do I connect to Allen Bradley PLC

jhagler

I have a Allen Bradley PLC 5/05 with a RS-232 connected to a panel view and a eithernet port. The PLC is not set up on the eithernet and I dont know what type of cable to use or what driver to use to connect to unit? I am not familar with this model of PLC. Please help?

You should be able to conect using RSLinx and DF1 or ETH-IP driver.
Try BOOT IP and see if you can see the MAC of PLC5 Ethernet card.

Hope that help.

You can do it two ways:
1) Use a serial cable ( 2-3, 3-2, 5-5 Female-Female) and using rslinx (DF1 driver), connect your pc to your plc, if you do not have a serial port but a USB port instead, beware of USB-Serial converters most of them do not work with plcs. ( Look for threads here i´m sure yoou wil find usb-serial converters that work properly).
2) You can try to connect to your plc thru ethernet port, if you know the IP address of your plc, It´s just a matter of configuring your rslinx (ethernet driver), you can also use BOOTP but as you said you have no experience, so try my first option.
In any case I recommend to read rslinx manual you can download it from www.ab.com