automationdirect productivity 2000 And ab

Donnchadh

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi

In have been ask to connect a automationdirect productivity 2000
To an Allen bradley compact l24 Plc
I see the automationdirect productivity 2000 does have Ethernet ip
Both plcs have hmi connected and the ab has 5 power flex 525 drives also on Ethernet so using modbus tcp is out out the question

Just asking for some ideas

Donnchadh

What data and how much must be passed from one to the other?
Can the HMI's be used to translate from one to the other?

I'm not knowledgeable with the l24 and how the powerflex drives communicate, so tell me how is ModbusTCP not an option?

Hi

The l24 is talking Ethernet ip to the power flex drives so I think i can not
Talk modbus also am I correct?

The hmi talking to each may be an option. I just want to transfer about 6 words of data.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh,
Unfortunately the Modbus RTU, TCP/IP is not a "native" language for the CompactLogix or ControlLogix PLC's. If you want to use Modbus TCP/IP you will have to add a Prosoft Card to the PLC.

If you go to http://www.automationdirect.com/p2000/features/communications#ethernetip There are a bunch of Ethernet IP videos using the P200/3000. There is even one about talking to a Power Flex drive. You might get what you need from the videos.

I will be looking into this myself as I have been working with the P2000 starter kit and would like to know how to do this myself.

I also found that this manual 1756-PM020 from AB gives a lot of info on Ethernet/IP communications with the Control/Compactlogix line of PLC's. It might help you out.

Follow up...

Gentlemen, I know its been a few years for you guys, but have either of you figured out how to read data from Allen Bradley PLC using Productivity 2000 PLC, and if so, would share how you accomplished it?

If you're using ControlLogix / CompactLogix and your P2000 is new enough, you can add the P2000 to the I/O tree of the AB as an I/O adapter. Some time ago, AD added Ethernet/IP capability to many of their controllers. I don't know if you could update firmware in an older controller to work or if you would need a new P2000.

You might also be able to use explicit messaging from the AB. I think Click can do that now, not sure if that's in Productivity yet.

https://www.automationdirect.com/videos/video?videoToPlay=qqtmmN6pnzk

Do I know you from building 20?

Edit: I watched the video and see the transcript. Looks like explicit MSG capability is there.

Last edited: