VFD for 1-phase motor

MrQ

Hello,

We have 50Hz in Europe as you know. I have one customer that has a special aplication where he needs to run a 1-phase AC nmotor at 60Hz.

Does anyone know of a VFD for 1-phase motors?
Can a normal 3-phase VFD be connected for 1-phase motors?

Hello,

We have 50Hz in Europe as you know. I have one customer that has a special aplication where he needs to run a 1-phase AC nmotor at 60Hz.

Does anyone know of a VFD for 1-phase motors?
Can a normal 3-phase VFD be connected for 1-phase motors?

You should check Delta or Schneider Electric. They have single phase VFD models.

For Schneider Electric Altivar 12

https://download.schneider-electric.com/files?p_enDocType=Catalog&p_File_Name=DIA2ED2130101EN+%28web%29.pdf&p_Doc_Ref=DIA2ED2130101EN

For Delta VFD-S Series

http://www.nwmotion.com/Portals/0/VFD-S_Catalog.pdf

Sometimes, 1-phase motors are actually 3 phase motors, with one phase to L, one phase to N, and one phase connected to L via a capacitor.
If that is the case, maybe you can remove the capacitor and connect the VFD via proper 3-phase.
Just a possibility. There are many strange ways to make 1-phase motors.

https://bardac.com/ac-drives/e3-series-single-phase-vfd/#toggle-id-9

Note: Not for capacitor start motors.

That said, a much larger 3 phase motor could (in theory) be used as an AC power supply for line starting a single phase motor of any type. Care in the design of the system to protect against tripping and damage as the motor is initially started, etc...

Just a WAG, but start at about 10x the current rating of the motor you want to start, add an output reactor, and make sure the door is closed the first time you try it.

The Bardac drives are made by a U.K. company named Invertek, Bardac is one of their US sales channels but may not be available in your country. I would just call Invertek directly. But as said, they can only be used on Permanent Split Capacitor and Shaded Pole type single phase motors, both of which are typically used only on light duty applications like pumps and fans. If your motor is a Capacitor Start version, you cannot use any VFD on it and if so, I suggest replacing the motor with a 3 phase version that fits, then use the other type of VFD that accepts single phase input but puts out 3 phase for the motor.

Last edited:
I used one of the Invertek VFDs for an exhaust blower in a water plant lab. The exhaust blower was pulling too hard and noisy, The vented area has a plexiglas sliding door that would buckle inward when closed, and you had to shut down the fan just to be able to slide the door.

So the goal was to slow it down without having to figure out a mechanical means (the duct work was not conducive to modification).

In the end, the VFD was only good for a narrow range of speed control at the top end (iirc, 45 Hz and up) , the motor pulled more current than expected (according to the VFD display) but it did actually function. I was skeptical, and would avoid using them still, but there are cases where it is worth a try.

This could possibly be done with a 60 Hz UPS as long as it accepts 50 Hz input. Maybe even without batteries if the model will function that way.

Last edited:
In Europe you have 230V 50Hz single phase in most places
if you want to run your 50Hz motor on 60Hz you could use a VFD set at fixed 60Hzof the.
but if you do the VFD will need to be size large enough to handle the starting inrush of the motor starting. that would make the cost very high. You could try to ramp the VFD up but with single phase motors this causes problems with the motor.
the Most cost effective way would be to change the motor to a 3 phase motor with the correct size VFD.
Most 3ph VFD can be run on single phase they just need to be derated by 30%

Also just a NOTE: most of the single phase VFD on the market list them as 115V 1 Ph input what is not clear is they are also 115V 3ph out not the 230V necessary to power the 3 phase motor. I know of only one (there may be others ) the will give you 115V 1ph in and 230V 3 Ph out (they have a voltage doubler built in)

Also just a NOTE: most of the single phase VFD on the market list them as 115V 1 Ph input what is not clear is they are also 115V 3ph out not the 230V necessary to power the 3 phase motor. I know of only one (there may be others ) the will give you 115V 1ph in and 230V 3 Ph out (they have a voltage doubler built in)
There are no 115V 3 phase motors, so yes, the ones that offer 115V single phase input all have a 230V 3 phase output and use a voltage doubler on the input side.

Actually all VFD mfrs have 230V single phase input versions up to and including 3HP (2.2kW), only a handful offer the voltage doubler-115V as an option for sale in North America and it is limited to 1HP on the output (beyond that, the voltage doubler cost increases exponentially, making it cheaper to just use a 115-230V transformer if you have only 115V available). Remember, 230V single phase exists all over the world, 115V single phase only applies to North America (and our sphere of influence).

jraef
I beg to be different but I have actually used these VFD's
Yaskawa VS mini Drive 115V 1 phase input 230V 3 Phase Output 1 Hp. They work very well. It's the only one I have found, there may be others but I have not found them yet. Most 115v VFD's can only be run at 30Hz or half speed do to the limited output voltage. These are designed to work with a standard 230V 3 PH motor at full power (Up to the power ratings of the VFD 1 HP)
Used them in farms all the time fans and pump applications.

Check then out for your self

As I have said before most are 115V 1 PH input with 115 3 Ph Output I did check all the VFD's shown in this post and all clearly state 115V 3 PH output the are expected to be used with 230V 3PH motors at 1/2 their ratings and 30HZ (Volts to Hertz ratio ) above that you are pushing the limits of the VFD always check the ratings

VS Mini Drive.PNG

Last edited:
Gary:

The 115V input VFD's I've seen (other than that one from Invertek), like Yaskawa, have mostly all had 230V output. These include Control Techniques, Fuji, Mitsubishi, Automation Direct, etc...