Motor For intermittent use offshore

ndzied1

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

Looking at quoting a system with a 100hp motor for offshore use. Motor is only used a few times a month.

I’m thinking I might need to put heaters in the motor prevent condensation build up. Is this right? Is it overkill?

Spec only said 40C ambient so I’m guessing near the equator most of the time.

Thanks

As far as heaters go, if it is VFD controlled some VFD's have a DC standby current to keep the windings warm when the motor is off.

Plus, don't think 'condensation' - as 'humidity' can cause just as much of a problem with the temperatures too high for normal condensation to occur.

If there is no VFD involved, There are stand-alone Motor Winding Heaters that can be added to the motor starter to accomplish the same thing; trickling low current into the motor to keep it warm. Their main purpose is for marine motor applications. The advantage over a strip heater on the motor is that it doesn’t need a separate power source and separate wiring/conduit/circuit protection.

And if you know for sure it’s going to the tropics, you will want the “tropicalization” option to help prevent fungus damage. Most major motor mfrs offer that.

Last edited:
The first thing i would do is contact the motor manufactures ( Not the distributor ) and talk to their application engineer they would be the best people to advise you
Different manufactures may have different abilities
My thinking is you will need a winding heater of some type
Another thought if this is truly a remote location and not accessed often then how you deal with power outages.