Problems opening a file in studio5000

bendanator

Hello everyone,

I have had to work on a new machine lately. I have the program on file in my laptop under Studio5000. When trying to just open the program if faults saying that( Logix Designer support for this revision is not installed: To open this project you must: Cancel and install Logix Designer support for firmware revision 20.01: Change the controller's revision and/or type in the project.) the controller I am trying to connect to is a CompactLogix5332E, type 1769-L32E. With Studio5000 I don't even have that option to choose that controller. So how is this project in Studio5000 when that controller in not even a option and studio5000 revisions start at 21. Any help is appreciated

welcome to the forum ...

first things first ... are you able to "see" the processor in RSLinx? ... if you can, try Right-Clicking the processor in RSLinx - then go to Device Properties in the popup menu ... find out EXACTLY what Revision is listed there ... then post again with that information and we'll try the next step ...

EDIT ... when I reread your post it looks like you're trying to open a FILE - OFFLINE ...

try this ... open the offline file (.ACD extension) using Microsoft Notepad - or Wordpad ... that should show you a "header" at the beginning of your file ... find out what the LAST revision that was used - and post that information ...

CAUTION ! ... do NOT save the file using Notepad or Wordpad ... you'll corrupt the file ...

Last edited:
Sounds like you don't have RSLogix 5000 V20 installed

OR

the *wrong* version of V20 installed.

While it's true that Studio starts at V21, the file extension is the same as pre-V20. So i'm not sure why you say "Under Studio5000" as there's no way to tell unless you try to open it.

For V20, also beware of the infamous V20.01 vs. V20.03 issue. Make sure you use V20.04 that resolve the V20 minor version incompatibility issue.

Hello everyone,

I have had to work on a new machine lately. I have the program on file in my laptop under Studio5000. When trying to just open the program if faults saying that( Logix Designer support for this revision is not installed: To open this project you must: Cancel and install Logix Designer support for firmware revision 20.01: Change the controller's revision and/or type in the project.) the controller I am trying to connect to is a CompactLogix5332E, type 1769-L32E. With Studio5000 I don't even have that option to choose that controller. So how is this project in Studio5000 when that controller in not even a option and studio5000 revisions start at 21. Any help is appreciated

I think, It is because Microsfot .NET Framework above V4.6.
How about downgrade from V4.6 to V4.5?

or

Disable the Start Page in RSLogix 5000 software as below:

With Administrator rights, navigate to the Windows registry and find: HKEY_Current_User\Software\Rockwell
Software\RSLogix 5000\Start Page.

Change the entry for Never Show to 1.

Last edited:
First off, Studio5000 Logix Designer cannot open a project where the controller is a L32E. Reason being, the last version that the L32E supported was v20, as noted, Studio5000 starts a v21.

Second, You must install every major software revision for every major firmware revision that you want to support.

Third, there is no such thing as backwards compatibility in Logix-land. To "solve" that you can install major software revisions all at the same time. For example, I have installed on one machine, RSLogix5000 v13-20, Studio5000 v21-31.

Last, since your L32E appears to be firmware rev 20, I'd install RSLogix5000 v20.04 to avoid the mentioned "minor rev debacle" that Rockwell created.

For reals last, I think if you have purchased Studio 5000 within the last year, you are allowed to download older/newer revisions.