Rockwell and Microsoft Windows.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
I'm in the process of buying new laptop computers for my workplace. I don't want to start a (new) thread about "what laptop should I buy?", though. :D

I use mainly Rockwell software (RSLogix 500 and 5000), and my doubts are basically regarding 2 main topics.
1) Should I run my Rockwell software on Windows 7 or on Windows 10?
If the answer is "Windows 10", which version (Home, Pro, etc)?

2) I use VMWare to run the PLC software, and my original idea was to have Windows 10 on the physical machine and Windows 7 Pro on the virtual machine. However, and strongly depending on you recommendation to item #1, I could be on a Windows 10 host, Windows 10 guest scenario. Would it be a
good approach? Which Windows 10 version should I use on each machine?

Thank you very much in advance!!!

1) You should run your software on Windows 7. You may find that most things work in Windows 10, but not everything is guaranteed to work. I had problems with dialog boxes either not showing up or looking scrambled. There may have been workarounds but who knows what else was waiting to not work.

2) If you like Windows 10, then go Windows 10 host and Windows 7 guest. I don't know whether your host should be home or pro, I have only briefly used Windows 10.

Definitely Windows 7 Professional.

Rockwell says that you could use Home Premium SP1, but I would just spend a little extra and go for Professional. That's what most use (Pro) so it will have the better support and testing/fixes.

It also seems that you CAN use 64 bit, with caution.
Rockwell compatibility chart

I have never used RSLinx Classic on 64 bit so I can't say how well it does or doesn't work.
I only use VirtualBox (VMWare) with Win7 Pro 32 bit.

Definitely x64. The new release of Emulate 5000 ver. 28 doesn't run on Windows 7 Pro x86. So going with x64 looks to be a safe bet.

I'm not a fan of installing anything on the host system. I have Office, my web browser, a company database tool, and VMware on my host and that's about it. I used to do all browsing from a VM but I have relaxed on that.

Win7 Pro 64-bit is all I use on my work laptop (host and virtual) and at home I use Win10 Pro with Win7 Pro guests. Everything is Pro and 64-bit except an XP virtual machine I use on rare occasions.

OG

I'm not a fan of installing anything on the host system. I have Office, my web browser, a company database tool, and VMware on my host and that's about it. I used to do all browsing from a VM but I have relaxed on that.
OG
Well, I just have the PLC software on the guest and everything else on the guest. For example, I can have a guest for Allen Bradley and another guest for Siemens. It doesn't make sense for me, if you have multiple virtual machines, to duplicate the Office suite (or anything else) on each guest. I don't load the virtual machine with extra stuff, and I don't need to open the virtual machine just to work on an spreadsheet or to browse internet, for example.

Sure. All I meant was that I used to have one general purpose VM that I used for day to day stuff like web browsing, working with PDFs, emails and so on. It was always on and it was my regular work environment. Lets face it, that is where all the dangerous stuff happens, email and web browsing. So I kept that isolated from my host. Then I would fire up other VMs when I needed my controls software.

I got away from that practice once I started using dual screens as they just didn't work inside a VM the way that I wanted. So now I don't have a general purpose VM anymore. MS Office, email, web browsing, all now happens on my host. But my control software is all still on VMs.

OG

Sure. All I meant was that I used to have one general purpose VM that I used for day to day stuff like web browsing, working with PDFs, emails and so on. It was always on and it was my regular work environment. Lets face it, that is where all the dangerous stuff happens, email and web browsing. So I kept that isolated from my host. Then I would fire up other VMs when I needed my controls software.
Yes, that's a very safe habit, but I'm too lazy to start VMWare just for the day to day stuff, and on my laptop it takes like 5 minutes to get the virtual machine ready. I hope my new laptop is faster!

I got away from that practice once I started using dual screens as they just didn't work inside a VM the way that I wanted.
I don't know what is the "way you wanted", but it seems that the dual screens feature works just fine for me on the virtual machine.

I want to say "Thank you" for everybody's comments, I really appreciate it!

Now that I'm going to use Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, any advise on where to get this license to be used on the virtual machine?
For example, I've seen OEM licenses for around $100 on Amazon.

For example, I've seen OEM licenses for around $100 on Amazon.

I believe you are technically supposed to get a retail box license for virtual machines. OEM licenses are to be distributed by an OEM manufacturer to be sold with hardware with the OEM providing all support. A retail box license doesn't have the restrictions and is free to move from one piece of hardware (or virtual hardware) to another.

With that being said, I can't seem to find anywhere there sells the full retail version of Windows 7 Pro anymore since Microsoft is basically forcing everyone to go to Windows 10.

I believe you are technically supposed to get a retail box license for virtual machines.
By "technically" you mean technical reasons or license reasons?

With that being said, I can't seem to find anywhere there sells the full retail version of Windows 7 Pro anymore since Microsoft is basically forcing everyone to go to Windows 10.
So, where is everybody getting Windows 7 Pro licenses for their virtual machines?

By "technically" you mean technical reasons or license reasons?

So, where is everybody getting Windows 7 Pro licenses for their virtual machines?

For licensing reasons. OEM licenses validate with no issues on a virtual machine. You may have issues if you reinstall the virtual machine elsewhere though.

And large companies can use volume licenses for virtual machines with no issues. It just appears that Microsoft is making it a lot harder on all the little guys to try to push Windows 10.