TP37 program backup

Brooks123

Hello all,

I'm trying to upload a program backup from an old Siemens TP37 HMI. I don't have a backup so if I lose the program I have nothing to restore.

When I’m connected to the HMI network in ProSave I'm not able to communicate with the TP37 which I believe is because I don't have it in “Transfer Mode”. I'm unsure of how to do this and don't want to accidentally delete the program. When I boot up the TP37 I briefly see options for “Serial Download” and “Boot Configuration” but I can’t find any documentation that specifically states what to select to put the HMI into “Transfer Mode” while not wiping the program. I have found some Siemens documentation that seems to suggest selecting “Serial Download” will delete the program.

Any advice?

In chapter 13.2 is described how to enter transfer mode:
https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/ww/en/view/1145346
I believe that if you chose "serial download" the TP37 will enter transfer mode. They just used the words serial download for transfer mode. If you do not actually download a program, nothing will happen.

But be aware that the image you upload to Prosave is only useful for loading onto another TP37. You cannot load the image into Protool for example.
As I see it you should consider reverse engineering the TP37 program on an up-to-date platform.