PLC over Computer Network

diaaabboud

Dear all

is it possible to install & connect several PLC's with ethernet ports over the fiber optic network which is used for normal computers!? I have many buildings and the computer network is already installed there and I want to take from each switch installed in each building an ethernet cable and connect it to my PLC (TWIDO with Ethernet) and sure to interface all these PLC's and control them from control room (SCADA WS)!? Btw, the number of PLC's not less than 100-150! has any one see this application installed!? and is it easy to T&C such a project!?

Regards,

Hi,

It is possible to communicate with Siemens PLCs over Ethernet IP but I can't answer for TWIDO. Siemens produce a range of networking components including wireless kit to connect to an ethernet port.
It is also posible to connect via a third party device called "Netlink Pro" available in the UK from Que assosciates; with this you can connect remotely over ethernet/IP to an MPI or DP port.

Hope this helps,

Nick

Yes its possible, as long as your PLC interfaces run TCP/IP.

You just need to be aware that if somebody starts dragging 500MB files over the corporate network then there may be timeout issues hence i wouldnt use it for critical control of course, but for monitoring and reporting its no problem we do it with no worries

Where possible I would generally try and keep a seperate network for the PLC's then use a SCADA PC with dual netowrk cards, one for PLC Comms and the other card to go to the clients corporate network you can then connect SCADA clients to this

If you have no option but to run the PLC comms on the company network try and use managed switches where possible and give the ports that are running the PLC comms priority