Windows 2000 migration to XP

G
The Allen-Bradly products we are using;

RS View 32
RS Logix 500
RS Networx for Devicenet
RS Linx

We feel it is time to migrate from 2000 to XP.

Questions:

1. Do these software packages migrate?

2. Do applications developed in 2000 move to XP?

Thanks

XP lets you run any aplication in "Compatability mode", so it tricks the program into thinking it's running on any one of the windows OS's that it lets you chose from (I know 2000, 98, 95 are on there, not sure what the others are)

I really wouldn't worry about buying 3rd party software when XP has that functionality built in.

In my experience, most AB software runs on XP without any hiccups (or at least hiccups that didn't exist under 2000)

i will say this, if using XP MAKE SURE that RSLogix is 2.1 oe higher if u nned to it/
VERIFY any/all software is compatible.

I did not state that to clear did I, my words were all messed up.

If you migrate to XP make sure all your software, especially AB RSLogix is compatible. With RSLogix 500 its version 5.20.00 that made it compatible but I think they are up to version 6 now. RSLinx I think has to be 2.3 or higher, not sure what latest version of it is.

Personally, I think Win2K is still sold and supported by Microsoft, so I would not rush into upgrading yet if you are satisfied with Win2K.

I agree with rsdoran. do you really have to upgrade? If you
don't have pressure to do so why not stay with 2000?
Also keep in mind that some of the packages do not run on XP Home
edition, only on XP Professional (for example RSView32 SE/ME).

I recently made the change on one of My machines. Upgrading I have had no problem, going to "XP PRO".

On a different machine, it was a new install. We ran into Problems with a couple of versions of the software. RSLogix 500 all of Version 5.xx.xx will not install, because it looks for OS Version compatability. With Versions Prior to 5 ie 4.xx.xx we had no problem installing or otherwise. Version 6 we had no problems either. We did not have the time to do the same with RSView to check version compatibility, so use caution if it is a fresh install.

Even though I am liking XP Pro more and more, I have to agree with Mr. Panic, if there is no presure to upgrade I would leave it alone.