PC ControlNet card and Windows 7

hugojose

Hi all,

Have Trihedral VTS (Scada system) with Allen Bradley ControlLogix5000 through a water plant. VTS is using Woodhead SST ControlNet cards to communicate with the Allen Bradley PLCs. Woodhead is out of business and the SST cards have not support and won't work with Windows 7 or any 64-bit operating system.

I am considering Allen Bradley 1784-PCIC as replacement to the SST cards, but their manuals are still on Windows 98, XP, and even NT, and am having mixed responses from Rockwel Automation support. One Rockwell support person answered:

"The current 1784-PCIC, 1784-PCICS and 1784-PKTCS are supported in Windows 7 Home Premium 32 and 64 bit and Windows 7 Professional 32 and 64 bit when using RSLinx 2.58 and later".

Another more recently responded:

"The 1784-PCIC card differs from the PCICS and PKTCS cards in the fact that it is not a scanner, only a communication device. The latter two are compatible with Windows 7, but for your set up, and it's lack of SoftLogix, I/O Linx would need to be installed. Unfortunately, I/O Logix is silver series, and therefore not officially supported on Windows 7. You can also use a 1784-U2CN which is a USB to ControlNet adapter to be able to go online with your ControlNet."

So the latest response implies that the PCIC is not compatible with Windows 7. I know I'd need RSlinx OPC server, but what is I/O logix?? I know the PKTCS is a scanner, but don't quite understand the difference with the PCIC card.

Could anybody enlighten me about the differences and would anybody know if the PCIC would work with Windows 7 for sure??

I thank you.