FactoryTalk SE Runtime

amx701

Hi,
another silly question.

With FactoryTalk ME, you can create a runtime (.MER). You only need this file (and a license) to run your HMI.

In FactoryTalk SE, I can create a client configuration file .cil. This is not a runtime file... If you copy this file to another computer it complains that it cannot find the factory talk project. Am I missing something obvious or does SE not create runtime applications?

Thanks

SE does not create runtime applications.

SE is not a neat "package". It's a server-client relationship. You install the server on a machine, and then one or more clients interrogates the server for the information it requires.

The .cli file is just a configuration file for the client which tells it where to look for the server, what macros to run at startup, and so on.

The reason it doesn't work if you copy it to another machine is likely because you configured the client to look for the server on localhost - i.e. the machine you were working on at the time. Then when you copy the .cli file across to another machine it looks for the server on that machine, and it's not there. You'd have to reconfigure the .cli file to point to the correct server machine, or install the server on that machine.

Side note: I don't believe all versions of SE can have server and client on separate machines. Distributed certainly can, but as to the other two, I think that they're a single-machine setup only.