Testing ControlLogix and CompactLogix CPU's without I/O

Rob S.

Good Morning ,

We have a shelf of ControlLogix and Compactlogix CPU's . I would like to test these and also use these for training . Can you download a program to them , same processor in the program application as what I would be trying,
without I/O ? Explained another way , just plug it in a empty rack , and download the program .

Thanks for your help ,

Yes, you can. The only stipulation is that the processor be in the same slot in the rack as the program calls for.

For best results, go into each I/O module's configuration, and on the <Connection> tab check the "Inhibit Module" box. Now the processor won't try to scan those I/O non-existent I/O modules, and you can write (by hand or programmaticly) any value you want to the Input addresses to simulate a response.

I personally prefer to simulate by writing to the raw input addresses ("Local:3:I.x") rather than having two separate "mapping" routines -- one for real I/O and one for simulated. YMMV.

Have fun!