Micrologix control of AB servo using message commands

irondesk40

I recently was talking to a vendor that was telling me that one of his customers is using a micrologix 1400 plc to control a Kinetx 300 servo drive by using MSG instructions over ethernet. Has anyone done this and if so could you possibly share enough info to help a person get started? I am using the Control Technique Unidrive and using the Control Technique HMI with the built in drivers that is actually a red lion that is labeled Control Technique. This is a very solid set up but is pretty costly and we looking at possibly adding a servo unit to feed some product into some new machines we just built. Total machines is approx 40. Each of these machines at the moment have a micrologix 1400 and a maples HMI unit. We had to build them as well as possible but due to budget requirements that is the components we used. if it was possible to add a servo motor such as the Kintex 300 and then control it with the micrologix and still keep the same maples HMI unit then the cost would be able to stay within budjet requirements.
Has anyone done this type of project? If so would you share some sample program or info? Thanks

Hi

I have used them with a 1100 so it's the same as far as I know.
Would I use it again hopefully I will not. The reason I say this is I am not a fan of the 300 or 350. This are not ab drives much like your hmi they are rebadged drives I think maybe lenze.
The motors and drives I found can be hard to tune, and the motion was not always what I have come to expect. The software is used via micro soft explorer
Which is fine but slow
But it will work and depending on the motion you require it may not be to hard to set up

Just my taughts

Donnchadh

irondesk40 said:
I recently was talking to a vendor that was telling me that one of his customers is using a micrologix 1400 plc to control a Kinetx 300 servo drive by using MSG instructions over ethernet. Has anyone done this and if so could you possibly share enough info to help a person get started?...

Here's a sample setup...

115078 - Kinetix 300: Programming example with MicroLogix 1400
Access Level: TechConnect

I think you are saying you want to add just one Kinetix 300 to each machine, but in case I have it wrong, or if someone else is looking to add multiple drives to a MicroLogix 1100 or 1400, then this may be worth noting...

MicroLogix 1100 Series B and MicroLogix 1400 controllers have CIP Generic/Explicit Messaging capability that can read and write Kinetix 300 tags and assemblies using Ethernet/IP. While both MicroLogix controllers can theoretically message to up to 16 other Ethernet/IP devices simultaneously, for maximum performance of about 25 packets per second to each drive, limit the number of drives to four or less (since the MicroLogix controllers have four transmit buffers for Ethernet/IP).

I'd agree with Donnchadh that they can be a bit "shaky" and controlling these drives with Explicit Messaging is not the best way to do it. The 300's are more designed for use with the CompactLogix PACs using RSLogix 5000 AOPs and Class 1 Implicit Messaging.

If your application is relatively simple, then your proposed setup will probably be fine.

Regards
George

thanks for replys. I think i might just stay with the control technique unidrive. It is a little on the higher end as far as price but works great if you use the control technique labeled HMI. Just not sure how to communicate with it with the maples HMI units we used on the machines.
The micrologix and maples was chosen only because of the budget requirments for the project.
Thanks

Go for it.
With the PDF that Cleeton provided and the Samplecode George Linked too, you should be up and running in no time.
Whatever your savings will be, it sounds like it's times 40.
That might be a big number or not, I don't know.
Good luck.

thanks for link. great info. if the Kinetix 300 is not as good as some seem to suggest on experience which Kinetix would you suggest. Only 1 servo per machine with the AB Micrologix 1400 and the maples hmi units.