ethernet compact logix

Im having issues staying connected to a L35 compact logix controll over ethernet. This plc controls a production line of conveyors. When I connect over Ethernet I can't upload the project from the controller because the connection times out and when i do get online its way to slow to navigate through the program or practically do anything. I've tried both ethernet drivers in rs linx. I just installed rslogix 5000 on this laptop and I have the entire software installed, I'm wondering if that's were the problem is comming from, I'm thinking of unistallin everything and just install the version 16 that I need. There has been other programers that have had no issues staying connected and navigating through the program. I've used task monitor and the Ethernet module on the controller is being hardly used from what I can tell. Any help would be appreciated