How to connect remote I/Os with SLC 5/05

AB2005

Hi;

At one of our machine, there is SLC5/05 installed. Due to some more I/Os increased at other parts of machine, we want to connect the extended rack having I/O cards with SLC. Is there any option available to attain this goal?
I tried to look for option of remote IO scanner but not.

there is a cable that attaches to the end of the first SLC rack and and attaches to the second rack. the second rack needs its own power supply and the cable attaches before you put in power supply.
There is also the option to put a SN card in the first rack and an ASB in the second to make it a remote, but if the 2 racks are close I would go with the 1st option a lot cheaper.
If you are only looking for 2 more I/O I think there is also a 2 card extensions that fits on some racks. what rack do you have

There are many other options available, since you have a 505 with Ethernet you can add a Micrologix 1400 as a remote and send messages back and forth to main processor

You can add DeviceNet I/O by adding a SDN scanner to your rack. Also, third party modules to talk to Profibus devices. Lots of options for 1746/1747 systems.

Hi;

I have arranged scanner module 1747-SN for this purpose. Now i have few quires;

1. This time SLC 5/05 is working in a 7slot rack where all other slots are occupied by digital I/O modules. Only last slot is empty. Normally scanner card is mounted closed after PLC. Is there any problem to install it at last slot?
  2. For remote I/Os adapter, I have 1746-ASB. For digital I/Os, i have two type of modules, for input module 1746-IB16 (input#0-7 then 10-17) 1746 IB16 (input#0-15). And for output module, 1746-OW16 (output#0-7 then 10-17) 1746 OW16 (output#0-15). Can i use both types of I/O modules with remote I/O adapter.

Why don't you just change the 7-slot chassis for a 10, or even a 13-slot chassis ?

I have used the last slot for SN before no problem, as far as the addressing (0-7_10-17)
are you reading this on the door.
You need to configure your SN card image and sat up the ASB, If you haven't used a SN card before there is a little reading to do

I have used the last slot for SN before no problem, as far as the addressing (0-7_10-17)
are you reading this on the door.

Octal labels can be installed for use with a PLC (2,5 etc.) processor. See PDF

The OP is not using a PLC (2,5 etc.) so he/she needs/should replace it with a decimal one. As a SLC does not support octal addressing(as far as I know).

Last edited: