OT...Legitimate Windows 7 64 Pro SP1

Bob O

I need to build a VM and looking to purchase Windows 7 64 Pro SP1. Where is a good place to purchase a legitimate copy?

I see on Microsoft website you can download it if you have a valid COA code of 25 characters but where could that be purchased?

Thanks,
Bob O.

I tried to get a license for Windows 7 Ultimate for a VM.

Microsoft does not sell them anymore, and a call to their technical support ended up with the support 'professional' telling me to go to the "Amazing" website where "Wonder Woman is from" and buy one there - but none of the listings I saw looked trustworthy.

My VM now half the time shows a bug in the corner that this installation is not legitimate

I asked the Microsoft guy why, if they did not provide licenses anymore, they don't issue a Windows update that makes all installations good, permanently. That confused him.

I’m pretty sure a Windows 10 Pro license comes with downgrade rights to Windows 7 Pro.

Actually - no

I had to replace a hard drive on a computer upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, and could not get Win10 to register.

Microsoft said I had to install the original Windows7, get it's license recognized, then upgrade again to 10, even with the registration locked to my Outlook account..

Buy a used cheap/old computer with a win7 license?

I think the downgrade from windows 10 to 7 is only possible if it was upgraded from win7 to 10 earlier.

I’m pretty sure a Windows 10 Pro license comes with downgrade rights to Windows 7 Pro.

This is TRUE! If you purchase a Window 10 Pro (Not an upgrade) you will be able to downgrade the installation to a Windows 7 Pro. I have done this just recently.

Thank you.
Is directdeals a legitimate seller?
I was also pointed to Newegg by the local Geek Squad but checking in here for other known good options.

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger and ordered from directdeals. I'll update on how this works out.

Thanks for all the replies!

Bob O.

Update

Wonder woman's planet was involved based on the download link but OS downloaded fine and built a VM and activated this morning.
Now saving VM before violating with FT.

Thanks,