pv550 button control

tom_stalcup

Lifetime Supporting Member
I had a quick question about how to setup a button I'm adding to our existing pv-550...

What I'd like to do:
1. When the button is depressed, the display will change to show the process is operating, with a countdown timer to show how much time remaining for the process to be complete.
2. When the process is complete, the button will automatically go back to the default display.

I've got a button setup, with the displays I need... What I'm not sure how to do(or even if the panelview550 will let me do it) is how to change the button state back when the plc timer times out. KEY POINT: I want to change the button state FROM THE PLC. I may end up adjusting the timer several different times to get the results we need, and I want the panelview to be independent of the timer values. I haven't been able to find any specific examples to cover what I'm trying to do. This doesn't mean they don't exist..... I just can't FIND them...

What I may end up doing is setting up a separate screen to mirror the existing screen, and then switch back to the original screen when the process is complete. This will work, but it's not the most efficient way to do it. Any other suggestions?

Regarding the button display control via the PLC. There should be a Read Tag and a Write Tag. The read tag is what tells the button whether to display the information in State 0 or State 1. Write tag is the actual bit you use in your program. From what I can tell in your case you'd want the Read tag to possible the timer timing bit from your timer?

I may not be exactly correct on my terminology its been a few months since I've programmed a PV.

You can command the screen that the PanelView is displaying from the PLC by defining a "Screen Number Tag" in the Control Tags group. The PanelView reads this tag value constantly.

When the tag value is zero, the PanelView user has control over screen changes. When you change the value to a nonzero value, the PanelView displays the screen with that number, and remains there until the number changes or goes back to zero (which allows the PanelView to take over again).

The button could just write a value to the Screen Number Tag. When the process timer in the PLC expired, it would write the number of the default screen to that address, and then return the value to zero shortly thereafter. You could build a handshake into that sequence, or just a short delay of 500 ms or so.

That is, if I really understand what it is you want to do.

By the way, I just finished teaching a PanelView Standard class today !

Let me clarify a few things

Right now, what I have come up with is a maintained pushbutton that I will use to start the sequence. State 0 on the pushbutton is the default display for the pushbutton, and state 1 says that the process is actuating, and I also have an embedded variable linked to the process timer value to show the time remaining(in the display for state 1).

This will do the job.

What I'm trying to do is make it so the operator does not have to touch the pushbutton again to return it to state 0.

So....

I'm trying something else

I think I figured out what to do. I'm going to change the maintained pushbutton into a momentary pushbutton, and then simply add a display value next to the pushbutton instead of using the embedded variable to display the process countdown timer. That way, the operator will still know the process is counting, but will not have to take any further action to return to normal operation.

If this doesn't work the way I want it, I'll go ahead and follow Ken's suggestion, and create a separate screen that I can manipulate from the plc.

I guess what the original question should have been:

Can you manipulate the pushbuttons themselves from the plc side? Is there a better style button or control value I should have tried to use other than a simple pushbutton?

Thanks for the help Ken and hd_coop....

Tom as hd_coop said there is a read tag and a wright tag..Set the read tag and the button will stay in state 1 untill the read tag is set to 0.

If i am making scence!

Also just re read..and you are using a PV i know this will work on a PV+ not sure about PV

D

Tom,

You can still do as you originally wanted. When you said "display" everyone thought you meant "screen".

In a momentary pushbutton, you can assign a tag for a 'write tag' and an 'indicator tag'. The write tag writes a '1' to the address in the plc specified when the button is pressed. The indicator tag determines the state of the pushbutton seen on the screen. The two tags are not 'tied' to each other. You can change the state of the indicator tag at any time regardless of if the button is being pressed or not.

Go ahead and put the embedded variable (timer.acc) in state 1 and text of your choice in state 0 (not timing), turn on the bit you tagged in 'indicator tag' when the timer is timing.

I hope that makes sense...

Last edited:
Ahhh... The light dawns.....

That makes perfect sense now. If enough people say the same thing over and over again, even I can finally grasp it :). Thanks for the responses folks...
I'll post back if any other questions pop up.

I would have posted sooner, but a random motor burnt up somewhere in the plant, and took out half of the power to the plant with it.... Who wants to bet the motor has time-delay fuses in it? I already know it doesn't have any overloads in it, but I haven't checked the fuses yet.....