Starting/stopping TON timer

You don't control the timer with the inputs, you control the timer with the bit that you are setting/holding, resetting/releasing. With a control bit that self holds or is SET, once it is ON it doesn't matter how many more times you tell it to be ON, it is already ON. And inversely once it is OFF it doesn't matter how many more times you tell it to be OFF, because it is already OFF.

From your method I see you went to the complicated school of programming. Here are two simpler methods of holding or setting a bit.

I haven't included the timer, I do have to leave some homework for you to figure out.

StartStop.jpg

Agreed, definitely looks weird. I can't recall if I've done it with a timer before or not, but I know I've done it with motion instructions, communication instructions, etc. I'd recommend testing to ensure it doesn't somehow double count, just to be sure. If it ends up working for you, I'd strongly recommend some comments in your code to explain what you're trying to do there.

I'm not 100% sure on the conditions pointing to the IN, but I think that's the right idea. It makes sense when conditions will be such that the first call will be false, ending the last timer and the 2nd call will be true, starting the timer again, immediately.

I think I have it, just had to work with edge detection :p