Profacy- Machine Edition, Uploading controller logic to PC

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm trying to connect for the first time to a Rx3I via Ethernet for the purpose of looking at the ladder logic and inputs/outputs while the machine is running. I do not have the original program file, but the machine manufacturer said there is no password on the program. My history is in AB and a few other varieties of CODESYS PLCs... this is my first time with GE.

I depend a lot on on-line tutorials, but I'm not finding anything on uploading existing programs onto the PC without the original file on the PC (just connecting and downloading). I'm a little afraid of making a mistake and writing a blank project to the CPU.

From what I gather so far, I create a blank project, using the correct CPU... put the IP address in the Hardware Inspector... then?

I'm at the customer's site right now, if anyone is able to give some input.

Once you have a blank project with the correct CPU and correct IP address, you should be able to connect to the PLC, . Your Proficy project will have a red "X" over the target in the navigator tree, indicating your Proficy project does not match the hardware and logic configuration on the PLC. At this point you should be able to Upload the project running on the PLC into your Proficy project. Once you have your project uploaded from the PLC, save it for safekeeping.

FYI, GEs website for downloading PME manuals:
https://digitalsupport.ge.com/commu...850-800-and-750-Getting-Started-manuals-en-US

Once you have a blank project with the correct CPU and correct IP address, you should be able to connect to the PLC, . Your Proficy project will have a red "X" over the target in the navigator tree, indicating your Proficy project does not match the hardware and logic configuration on the PLC. At this point you should be able to Upload the project running on the PLC into your Proficy project. Once you have your project uploaded from the PLC, save it for safekeeping.

FYI, GEs website for downloading PME manuals:
https://digitalsupport.ge.com/commu...850-800-and-750-Getting-Started-manuals-en-US

specifically look at page 50 of GFK-1918S. They buttons and toolbars may look a little different depending on your vintage of PME, but the execution is all the same.

Thanks! I connected and uploaded the program to my PC. I'm having a cup of coffee and exploring the software and file this morning. I'm finding it harder to visualize what is going on... must be the learning curve and my over-exposure to Logix 500.

IMHO...(don't want to start a flame war)
IF I encountered both logic programming formats at the same time.....GE would be easier to understand and use.

besides that...
Some key differences between the 2:

Not octal numbering.... It is decimal.

Usually not rack/slot oriented as far as IO addressing or sequencing (so with GE.. either check hardware configuration for IO location or "Search" will also tell you IO location).

You can "force" any memory IO or real IO bit...meaning any contact in a rung, and any coil.

If you online edit...you can just right click left rail and select "Accept Edit", you do not have to "Test Edit" first.

There are quite a few more..But in Machine Edition...the "Companion" window plus the 'Inspector" window does a good job of explaining whatever you click on.

Last edited:
I'm using the 4-day trial period on a Windows 7 virtual machine. I was hoping to print some of the ladders out, but the print function is grayed out. I suspect it's because it's in trial mode. That would be really handy because I'm trying to get to know the logic for this machine better... and I like making notes on the pages.

I also suspect all of the comments in the ladder are in the original file... but not here. I have to work a little harder to make sense of the addresses.

I'm slowly getting familiar with the software, and I liked it better the second time I opened it. I'm certainly excited for the opportunity to have it on my laptop.

I have another customer who has a machine that uses one of the Automation Direct, Direct Logic PLCs that will require a copy of the software to figure out why one of the outputs won't stay active for the full cycle. ....works for me! I'd love to have more PLC work, and this is how I get access to the software.