FactoryTalk View SE Passing Min / Max thru Param File

mattmc97

Hello,

I am trying to modify a working program that uses parameter files for the different control items in the system.

So for PID Loops there a popup screen with numeric inputs for Setpoint, P, I, D, Min, Max that are tied to various parts of the PID instruction. These all work great.

Example: Setpoint Numeric Input ->Connections->Value: {#21}

Parameter file:

#21 = {[PLC1]PSI_01.SP}

This works great. Change the setpoint and it shows up in the PLC PID block.

Now, I am trying to add parameters for Min&Max Values.

Updated Example:

Setpoint Numeric Input ->Connections->
Value: {#21}
Minimum: {#50}
Minimum: {#51}

Updated Parameter file:

#21 = {[PLC1]PSI_01.SP}
#50 = 20
#51 = 150

So the idea is this would limit the customer input between 20-150, but when it is loaded on the screen the limits are both 0.

Do the numbers have to be in {} as well? I was thinking that was just for the PLC tags?

Any idea why it is not working? Tried to read the manual on parameter values, but can't find anything pertaining to min & max.

I have about 10-15 of these through out the program and none are working, so it seems to be something in how it is coded.

Thanks.

So I've never worked with Parameter files but i have just recently set up just what you are trying to do except I did based off a min max of current setpoint. So for instance operators could only change setpoint +/- 2. I just wrote logic in the PLC to add 2 the current setpoint into a new tag for max, and subtract 2 into a different tag for min.

I believe the connection>min/max have to be tag based. But if your value syntax is just {#21} and it works then you should be good. One very important thing to remember: on the "numeric" tab make sure 'Use variable minimum/maximum' IS CHECKED. Im pretty sure your connections wont work if this isn't checked.

Hope this helps.

I don't believe you can use constants in your parameter files - at least I know you can't in FTView ME.

My workaround (and it makes my eye twitch) is a tag folder called "Constants" filled with memory tags of appropriate values. So if I need a constant of 14, instead of just specifying "14", I specify "Constants\14"

I don't believe you can use constants in your parameter files - at least I know you can't in FTView ME.

My workaround (and it makes my eye twitch) is a tag folder called "Constants" filled with memory tags of appropriate values. So if I need a constant of 14, instead of just specifying "14", I specify "Constants\14"

For anyone else wondering, this is the correct fix. Apparently, you cannot put Constants in a Parameter file.

What an idiotic constraint.

This is by far the worst experience I have had with an HMI program. AB Factory Talk SE is complete garbage.

I used constants in passing parameters. But I used VBA to parse it out and assign the values to their respective tags. Worked well.

I used constants in passing parameters. But I used VBA to parse it out and assign the values to their respective tags. Worked well.

Not sure how you would have done that, but if I have a numeric tag for a pressure setpoint and I want to be able to control 5 alarms from the same popup window.

I should be able to pass a min / max parameter for 0 / 100 or 0 / 200 psi to limit the user to make sure it doesn't break the PLC code.

It is ridiculous and stupid that AB doesn't allow constants in the parameter file.

So many things about the program that are terrible.

Easy. VBA lets you read the parameter values you pass to a screen. Its easy then to assign them to what you want.

We have had a similar problem, but got around it differently. We pass a #1 to a global object representing an alarm tag, and a #4 and #5 to give minimum and maximum constraints for its settings. The object originally imposed a minimum for the low low alarm level (for example) like this:

{#4}

This DIDN'T QUITE WORK. If you pass a variable like {mytag} to #4, all is (barring a refresh problem) well. If you pass a constant, e.g. 100.0 , the numeric entry just doesn't display. Oh bother! (and other words to that effect).

It would appear that the curly brackets are making FTV try to look for a variable called 100.0 rather than use the number 100. Furthermore, if you just use #4 on its own, Factorytalk tends to add the curly brackets for you.

THIS DID WORK (so far):

#4 + 0.0

Adding the +0.0 persuades Factorytalk not to add its own curly brackets. You do have to add them around a variable name when sending it to the #4 field, i.e. #4 can be {mytag} or 55.6 but not mytag nor {55.6}. Not sure this is a complete answer but it might help some readers.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I just applied the method given by AH_GB, but it doesn't work.
I input : #4 + 0.0
After validation, the brackets are automatically added.

I am using FTView SE v12

Sorry that this is two years after the event, but ....

Add .MIN and .MAX to PSI_01

Then in your parameter file:

#21 = {[PLC1]PSI_01.SP}
#50 = {[PLC1]PSI_01.MIN}
#51 = {[PLC1]PSI_01.MAX}