A bit OT: ABB ACS480s misbehaving

DairyBoy

I've recently included some ACS 480 drives in a new build. I haven't used them before. They're all on profinet (which works ok), but they all behave as though they're in torque vector mode. All report back over the network or via their operator panels that they are in scalar mode, which is the default, but all produce full load current when the frequency is at 0Hz. I've already had to send a motor for rewind after a few hours service. Our ABB distributor has tested one off the shelf and the V/F curve was as expected for scalar mode: 0Hz=0A. The V/F bias is default (very low). ABB tech don't have a clue. I'm wondering if the drives got spooked by the network card, as I had huge issues with the software until ABB belatedly woke up to the fact that the FBs weren't compatible with TIA less than V15.1. Has anyone seen this problem? Thanks.

Man I have seen the exact same thing. We have an ACS480 and it was always hardwired control.

I upgraded the PLC in the cabinet and put a switch, bought the fena E/IP adapter and set it all up. Now every now and then the drive looks like it gets fed a target freq of 0hz and the current ramps up to 65 amps. After about 20-30 seconds, the target freq on the little screen on the eip adapter changes to 13hz or what ever speed I am setting and off she goes.

A couple of times it just hasn't updated and I have had to update the tag again and again until it locks in.

No idea what the problem is but I only started seeing it when I controlled the speed via eip adapter. I am using AB 1769 L30ERMS through a stratix switch.