Micrologix vs. CpLX pricing

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello, I would like to know if AB has any h-ware that is logix based that is similar in price to micrologix? I have a very low priority, low budget project that I prefer using something logix based however, if the cost is significantly more for the logix, then I will go with the micrologix (RSL500). It will need to directly drive 110VAC fan contactors-coils (500mA) and I might need to expand with a T/C module and add an analog input module as well. I am just looking for my lowest-cost option. Thanks.

Don't have any concrete answers, but just for a bit of context, in the past couple of years I've received a quote from my local AB distributor for a L30ER CompactLogix at a little over $2700 CDN and a MicroLogix1100 at just under $800 CDN. These were both for the same customer, so it's over 3x the cost just for the Logix processor alone, obviously the IO and power supply/end caps still need to be accounted for.

Look at the 5069-L306, as well as a 1769-L16. Those are going to be the cheapest processors that use Studio 5000.

I think the 5069-L3XX is preferred as a lower priced CLX option to the 1769 platform and will outperform the MLX 1400 by far in regards to memory and expansion options plus it uses the more advanced Studio5000 software.

One hitch to consider is that if serial printing is needed, an additional ascii card or conversion to TCP socket printing needs to be set. We use the TCP socket option. If we need to print to a serial printer, we simply add an inexpensive device server to the system. This way, we can print to any off the shelf printer from Laser, inkjet, dot matrix, and other typical kiosk printers without changing the program.

Yes, i would look at the 1769-L1 series also. (L16, L18)
Not cheaper than the micrologix, but a close second.
I dont remember the price but when i purchased a 5069-L310 last year that thing was way more expensive than even an 1769-L2 series and it doesn't even come with embedded I/O.

I guess it depends on your plans with it.

Depending on how many analog/thermocouple you need, it may not be that much more. The 1769-L24ER-QBFC1B includes a highspeed counter and universal analog input and output. The 4 channel universal analog input can be used as a thermocouple input, so you don't have to buy the overly expensive thermocouple cards. It also has a much higher resolution than the built in 0-10V only analog inputs on the Micrologix.

Yes, the compacts are more expensive, but they aren't really apples-to-apples comparisons. A new Cadillac is much more expensive than a 2002 Ford Festiva as well.

I might need to expand with a T/C module and add an analog input module as well. I am just looking for my lowest-cost option. Thanks.

It can be a waste of "open real estate" if there is just one or very few of one type of input such as a TC or RTD that has to be paired with pressure. Instead of two different expansion cards, it may be better to stick with one AI card. Simply use an isolated transmitter like the PR 3111 (TC) or 3112 (RTD) or OMEGA DRSL transmitter. These are solid, easily configurable devices.

If you're up for learning something different you can take a look at the Micro800 series. They use CCW for programming, some hate it others dont mind it. Its come quite a long way in the last few years. Tag based unlike the Micrologix line. Food for thought at least.

Another consideration would be the Idec FC6A. It has the flexibility and memory capacity of a CLX. The FC6A has proven to be one of the first options for our projects.

The Idec WINDLDR application uses a common ladder logic with a Main routine and calls to sub routines. The program flow is similar to MLX. The memory is fixed which primarily consists of 16 bit words and relays (bits). Organization and proper allocation of the memory is essential. The software is easy to use and itÂ’s a one time purchase.

Although standard communications through Ethernet, USB, or serial is available for online programming and upload/download, one of the best features is the ability to load the programs using only an SD card. A USB drive can also be used through the HMI. Therefore, program updates can be sent by email.

We require many features from PID control, multiple input types, and printing many pages of data to various types of printers. Our high end models use ControlLigix or CompactLogix by demand, but the default is always the FC6A. Each platform performs adequately.

Last edited:
If you're up for learning something different you can take a look at the Micro800 series. They use CCW for programming, some hate it others dont mind it. Its come quite a long way in the last few years. Tag based unlike the Micrologix line. Food for thought at least.

I have used these on other projects. When my superior originally assigned it to me I suggested the Micro800. Before I could finish my question he gave a definite "no".

Another consideration would be the Idec FC6A. It has the flexibility and memory capacity of a CLX. The FC6A has proven to be one of the first options for our projects.

This place will use nothing but AB, except on machinery that is manufactured elsewhere and brought in.