Number of total tags - RSLogix 5000

rankhornjp

Is there a way to count the number of tags (including dot fields) in RSLogix 5000 automatically?

When I export the tag database and open it in Excel, it only shows the main tag, but not the dot fields. (e.g I have a Motor AOI, the exported file will show Motor1, but won't show Motor1.start, Motor1.stop, Motor1.running, etc.)

I've tried to copy/paste the tags into Excel, but the program (Logix) locks up.

When you export as *.L5K, each sub-element of each defined Tag is on a new line, so you can count the number of lines in the TAG section.

Why do you want to know ? I'm curious about how the number of sub-elements would be useful information.

Trying to get a total count for a new Historian. Customer isn't sure what all they want, so I'm trying to figure out worse case for them.

That makes great sense, thanks for the feedback !

I know that some HMI and historian systems can be clumsily configured to literally read every tag in the controller, slowing the system to a crawl.

I just had to convince a customer that their specification requirement that "every input" be timestamped and recorded in an SQL database was unwise.

Is there a way to count the number of tags (including dot fields) in RSLogix 5000 automatically?

When I export the tag database and open it in Excel, it only shows the main tag, but not the dot fields. (e.g I have a Motor AOI, the exported file will show Motor1, but won't show Motor1.start, Motor1.stop, Motor1.running, etc.)

I've tried to copy/paste the tags into Excel, but the program (Logix) locks up.

Comments of a Tag will not export without a description.

Example> The Comments of MY_DINT only show Bits 0, 2 and 4. I did not Comment on Bit 1, 3, 5 or 6-31. Therefore they are not exported to the CSV file.
DINT Comment.PNG