Joining Devicenet Cables

The Plc Kid

What is the best way to join devicenet thick cable?

I have a cabinet that we will be moving about 10-15 feet soon and this is a pretty long devicenet trunk run in a real tight conduit and i would prefer to just add to it before repuling the entire run.

After the move the cable may be long enogh to get into the cabinet 1-2 feet at most or we may have to set a junction box.

I was looking at a devicenet powertap to join the cables but not sure if that is the best way.Money is not a problem i just want the best and most fault tolerant method and wanted to get some advice before i purchase.

BTW this will be the end of the run on this devicenet network and i will be adding 20 feet of cable max. I have done the length calculations already and i am well in range.

Not an expert but I'll offer this. If you don't need the power, you could add a device box instead. Sort of six of one vs. half a dozen of the other. A plus with a drop is the possiblity of adding additional nodes if ever needed.

I really like the DeviceBox with the spring terminal connections. The PowerTap is just a DeviceBox with a minimal set of connectors to add power.

That being said, I've seen quite a few DeviceBox failures and they all had the exact same issue. The following steps will assure proper DeviceBox functionality:

When reassembling a DeviceBox, fully secure all the screws on the lid until they are snug.

If a gasket was delivered with the DeviceBox, replace it before fastening the lid.

Do not omit screws from the DeviceBox lid fastening. Three screws are insufficient. Two screws are insufficient. One screw is insufficient.

Electrical tape is an insufficient substitute for screws when reattaching the DeviceBox lid.

Seal all entries to the DeviceBox. Open cable entries will admit water to the DeviceBox.

Do not direct high pressure water onto a DeviceBox that has open cable entries or an unfastened lid.

Water is conductive. Caustic cleaning solution is also conductive. Neither of these liquids should be introduced into the DeviceBox.

A condolet with wire nuts is an insufficient substitute for a DeviceBox. Rockwell Automation does not warranty the DeviceBox if it has been removed and replaced with wire nuts.

One alternative would be male+female Devicenet connectors. I've used the Turck connectors before (although not for a Devicenet application) and they are pretty solid. Cost would probably be considerably less than a Devicebox.

turck.jpg

The devicebox looks good so i think i will go with that and it will give me easy expansion if i ever need it.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone.