SLC 100 /150 Help

Tim Ganz

I need to make some timer chnages to a slc 100 / 150 plc and we have the software and cable but the program that's stored on the laptop which I think is correct has no comment names?

Does this system use comment names? How many characters max? We have very little documentation on it. WE are looking to upgrade this machine all over in March of next year but for now I stll have to chnage these 2 timers and I have never touched this software before.

If I go out and upload the existing program is there a way to compare it to what is on disk?

I have a hard copy of a very similar machine that has names of devices hand written on it so I could comment it if the program stores comments.

Please Help. I am so lost on this one.

PCIS software does support comments. If the program doesn't show them then they aren't there. Address comments have a 10 characters maximum. Rung comments may be up to 65 characters long. Comments are not stored in the PLC, so a file created by uploading from the PLC will not have any.

There is a way to compare programs: First you look at the rung in one program, then you look at the rung in the other program and see if it looks the same. Then you look at the next rung... ;)

Tim, do you have a manual for the PCIS software? I've got one but the file is too large for attaching to the forum. If you need one then PM me an email address and I'll send it to you.

Also I've found that PCIS communicates better with the PLC if you run it on a dosbox virtual machine instead of trying to run it under WinXP or Win7. If you search the forum for dosbox or PCIS you'll find some posts on how to do this.

TConnolly

I just sent you a PM with my email address. Thanks for your offer on the manual it will be very helpful.

Speaking of comparing the program How can I look at one copy and compare to another? Can I open the software twice on the laptop and have the backup program on one window and the uploaded program on another window?

I ask because this is an old windows 95 laptop ( I think that's all it will run on)and I only have one of these laptops.

I am guessing there is not a way to print this either? I would think it would take a old serial printer? All we have is newer usb printers.

WE have this controller in another machine and we are thinking of changing it out. Which modern Allen Braley PLC is the best fit to replace one of the units in most cases? The other machine is using 1 expansion base also.

Considering that was old DOS-based software, I would have to assume that it is working in the old 8.3 filename format.

8 characters for filename, 3 character extension.