[TOOL] What version is this MER/APA anyway?

Hello dmroeder,

Is this tool still available? I have some MERs and APAs from Dec 2014 that I would like to know the version.

Kind regards,

Paul

Sorry, I used the link mid way in the thread (post #16)...didn't work.

Used the link in Post #1 and IT WORKED PERFECTLY!!!!!

Thank you very much sir! What ever they are paying you, it is not enuf. hahaha

Best regards,

Paul

Looks like the new version of FT View V11 has built in functionality to identify the version of MER/APA files from the transfer utillity and application manager, as well as a separate Version Reader utility.

• Application Manager for FT View ME shows the version of an .MER or .APA file being worked with
  • When restoring an ME runtime .MER or .APA archive file to a Studio project, users can see the version of the runtime / archive file prior to restoring the entire application
  • File Transfer Utility shows runtime file version, letting you verify that the proper version of PanelView Plus firmware is installed on a PanelView Plus prior to download
  • New FactoryTalk View ME Version Reader tool used separately from FT View Studio can quickly check the version of .MER and .APA files

Any way the sourcecode can be available online? My teammates are a little vary of the download.

Thanks!
-PeeLC

I could understand that, better safe than sorry. I'll post it when I get a minute to clean up my middle-school language in the code. I made it when I was mad at Rockwell for telling me that you can't get the version from the APA/MER.

Looks like the new version of FT View V11 has built in functionality to identify the version of MER/APA files from the transfer utillity and application manager, as well as a separate Version Reader utility.

• Application Manager for FT View ME shows the version of an .MER or .APA file being worked with
  • When restoring an ME runtime .MER or .APA archive file to a Studio project, users can see the version of the runtime / archive file prior to restoring the entire application
  • File Transfer Utility shows runtime file version, letting you verify that the proper version of PanelView Plus firmware is installed on a PanelView Plus prior to download
  • New FactoryTalk View ME Version Reader tool used separately from FT View Studio can quickly check the version of .MER and .APA files

I read about this. It only took 15 years!

I could understand that, better safe than sorry. I'll post it when I get a minute to clean up my middle-school language in the code. I made it when I was mad at Rockwell for telling me that you can't get the version from the APA/MER.

Chuckles via class function What****ingMERVersion()

brendan.buchan said:

Application Manager for FT View ME shows the version of an .MER or .APA file being worked with
When restoring an ME runtime .MER or .APA archive file to a Studio project, users can see the version of the runtime / archive file prior to restoring the entire application
File Transfer Utility shows runtime file version, letting you verify that the proper version of PanelView Plus firmware is installed on a PanelView Plus prior to download
New FactoryTalk View ME Version Reader tool used separately from FT View Studio can quickly check the version of .MER and .APA files

dmroeder said:

Version 10.00.01 actually started introducing this sort of version identification feature so we could check which version application is running at startup...

(I also left the first Enhanced feature below as it may also be useful for Folks to know)...

v10.00.01 Enhanced features

• Opening and converting earlier versions of runtime applications
    FactoryTalk View Machine Edition version 10.00.01 removes the constraints of opening and converting version 5.00, 5.10, and 6.00 runtime applications on a 64-bit operating system

• Version information
    FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Station shows the software version information in the title bar of the startup dialog box

Another neat little change at v10 I thought I throw up here is the easing up on the Demo mode restrictions...

Functional Changes

FactoryTalk View Machine Edition version 10.00.01 has the following changes in functionality since the last release:

Demo mode limits
Starting from FactoryTalk View Machine Edition version 10.00.01, more than five graphic displays and a full use of Symbol Factory library are allowed in Demo mode.

FactoryTalk View v11.00 is, as Brendan has informed us, adding on to this new concept of easily identifying runtime application versions.
I also received this similar info in a recent email on v11...

• Graphic performance improvement for PanelView Plus 7 Performance HMI increases display rendering speed by 10-20%
  • Optimization of the onboard audit trail eliminates duplicate audit messages for operator actions, reducing the frequency at which the onboard audit log needs to be managed
  • Application Manager, File Transfer Utility, and new version ID tool now display the version of the .APA or .MER file, making management of runtime and archived project files easier

So, of all the new options to find out the version info, the new "tool" option has now been called both a "Version Reader tool" and a "version ID tool". Which it will actually be called we will have to wait and see when v11 is released. I'm told that will be soon but it's still not officially launched this side of the pond...

FTView%20ME%20Versions%20-%20Feb%202019%20%28v11%20pending%29.jpg

Regards,
George

Last edited:
LMJette said:
Thanks for the additional info guys. I don't know for the other side of the pond but today v11.00.00 is now available here.

Thanks for the update on the release of v11 which shows as officially last Friday "2019/02/22". I've checked and it is now available this side of the pond...

FTView%20ME%20Versions%20-%20Feb%202019%20%28v11%20released%29.jpg

EICS said:
is it posted for download on the rockwell site now?...

It "appears" to be released Worldwide at this stage but I would check their website for your region. I'm sure it will be there?

EICS said:
...and a general question is the same download for 32 & 64 bit versions ?

Yes.

Rockwell Automation Publication - VIEWME-IN003P-EN-E - January 2019 said:
Hardware requirements

For the optimal performance of the FactoryTalk View Machine Edition application, the personal computer is recommended to meet or exceed the following hardware requirements:

• Intel® Core™ i5 Standard Power processor
• 4 GB of memory (RAM)

Software requirements

FactoryTalk View Machine Edition has been tested on the following operating systems:

•Windows 7 Enterprise with Service Pack 1 (32-bit, 64-bit)
•Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1 (32-bit, 64-bit)
•Windows 7 Ultimate with Service Pack 1 (32-bit, 64-bit)
•Windows 7 Embedded Standard with Service Pack 1^
•Windows 10 Enterprise* (32-bit, 64-bit)
•Windows 10 Professional* (32-bit, 64-bit)
See the Windows Lifecycle FAQ and Windows as a Service (WaaS) topics on the Microsoft® Web site for details regarding servicing requirements and other important information.
• Windows 10 Semi-Annual Channel v1709, v1803, and v1809
Windows 10 Semi-Annual Channel is governed by the Microsoft Modern Lifecycle Policy. Refer to the Microsoft Web site for details.
• Windows 10 IoT Enterprise 2016 Long-Term Servicing Channel
Windows 10 Long-Term Servicing Channel is governed by the Microsoft Fixed Lifecycle Policy. Refer to the Microsoft Web site for details.
• Windows 10 IoT Enterprise 2016 Long Term Servicing Branch (LTSB) Embedded**
• Windows Server® 2008 R2 Enterprise with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
• Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
• Windows Server 2012 Datacenter (64-bit)
• Windows Server 2012 Standard (64-bit)
• Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter (64-bit)
• Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard (64-bit)
• Windows Server 2016 Datacenter* (64-bit)
• Windows Server 2016 Standard* (64-bit)

For operating systems installed by the computer vendor, see Answer ID 26842 in the Rockwell Automation Knowledgebase.

* For more information about the Windows 10 operating system support, see "Anomalies" in FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Release Notes.

** This operating system is supported with the Allen-Bradley® 61xx family of industrial computers and CompactLogix™ 5480 family of controllers.

^ For more information about the Windows 7 Embedded Standard with Service Pack 1 operating system support, see Answer ID 619825 in the Rockwell Automation Knowledgebase.

Supported browsers

The following web browsers have been tested and are supported for use with this release:

• Google® Chrome™ browser
• Internet Explorer® 11
• Mozilla® Firefox®

Supported SQL Server

FactoryTalk View Machine Edition version 11.00.00 supports SQL Server 2014 Express LocalDB as HMI tag databases.

I've downloaded the full installation package but I've not had time to install it yet and take a look. What I have found after a quick look is the installation package for the new "FactoryTalk View ME Version Reader"...

FTView%20ME%20Version%20Reader.jpg

It's possible we may be able to install it as a standalone tool? Not sure about that yet though. It may have inter-dependencies.

Regards,
George

It's possible we may be able to install it as a standalone tool? Not sure about that yet though. It may have inter-dependencies.

Yes it can be installed all alone. I just installed it on a blank Windows 7 installation and it was the only software that appeared in Programs and Features. Maybe it shouldn't screw up an older FTStudio version installation.:confused:

Untitled.png

LMJette said:
Yes it can be installed all alone. I just installed it on a blank Windows 7 installation and it was the only software that appeared in Programs and Features. Maybe it shouldn't screw up an older FTStudio version installation.:confused:

That's good to know but is it "functional"?
Have you used it successfully?

Don't leave us hanging!

G.