Siemens S7-1200 / SM 1231 AI4 scaling

dginbuffalo

Hello- 1st off - I don't get involved with many Siemens PLC's here :oops:

I have a 231-4HD32-0XB0 4 channel analog in and a customer provided program.

The customer used a "limit" function to keep the raw analog in between 5530 and 27648 before he normalizes it.

In the device configuration, he has the modules set up as 4-20mA. If the module was configured as 4-20mA wouldn't the range be 0-27648? Or is the raw always 0-27648 for either 0/20 4/20mA and you compensate by setting your min normalized or scaled value to 5530?

Thanks.

See attached, hope this helps.

Thank you. I've seen this and this is where i get confused. Customer says everything looks fine and he is setup as 4-20mA and begins scaling at 5530 raw. By looking at this table, I would think that he needs to start at zero if he has the module set as 4-20mA. :confused:

What is the transmitter to the AI card doing?

Does that have some form of internal scaling that means 4mA isn't possible.

What is the transmitter to the AI card doing?

Does that have some form of internal scaling that means 4mA isn't possible.

They are having trouble with one temperature reading being off. It comes from a temp transmitter in the head of an RTD. It should be scaled 4-20mA = 0-400F. After I open the program and see how all the analogs are set up, I question how they are all working.

This document I found online only shows 0-20mA for that module. Is it possible that in order to use 4-20mA you have to start your scaling at 5530 raw?

scaling1.jpg

Last edited:
Is that document for the module you listed? It doesn't match what me or Rob... listed.

It may not be.

I think the mystery is solved though. The customer confirmed that the input setup is actually 0-20mA. This makes 4mA approx 5530 raw and this is where his scaling starts. He may just have a transmitter that has not been ranged correctly.