What do you know about Non-Competes??

This is an interesting and great discussion.

I have signed one at my previous company. It stated along the lines of " cannot operate a business or work for competitors withing 100 miles of this location for a period of 24 months"
I left after working there for 5 years, and went to work for a SI of a different field. So it didnt matter either way for me. But there were other people that left and went to work for competitors and nothing came of it. I don't believe it would hold up in court personally but what do i know.

I think the company wrote it because one of the higher ups prior had a disagreement with the owner, started his own company and deliberatly shot all of his existing customers a letter, trying to steal all the work.
So i figure as long as you don't try to approach the client and they come to you or you don't deliberatly try to cripple your former employer, most likely you are safe.

This is not legal advise, i am no lawyer. Just my opinion.

This is an interesting and great discussion.

I have signed one at my previous company. It stated along the lines of " cannot operate a business or work for competitors withing 100 miles of this location for a period of 24 months"
I left after working there for 5 years, and went to work for a SI of a different field. So it didnt matter either way for me. But there were other people that left and went to work for competitors and nothing came of it. I don't believe it would hold up in court personally but what do i know.

I think the company wrote it because one of the higher ups prior had a disagreement with the owner, started his own company and deliberatly shot all of his existing customers a letter, trying to steal all the work.
So i figure as long as you don't try to approach the client and they come to you or you don't deliberatly try to cripple your former employer, most likely you are safe.

This is not legal advise, i am no lawyer. Just my opinion.

I think this is a pretty realistic scenario.

The company would have no recourse if you tried to cripple them on the way out unless there was a non-compete. It is way to much work for them to try to cripple the career of some random employee. Unless you REALLY made them mad. As long as you aren't secretly dating the boss's daughter, you're probably fine.

I think this is a pretty realistic scenario.

The company would have no recourse if you tried to cripple them on the way out unless there was a non-compete. It is way to much work for them to try to cripple the career of some random employee. Unless you REALLY made them mad. As long as you aren't secretly dating the boss's daughter, you're probably fine.

Yes, that last part will really get you in trouble. Haha

Even at my current work, I was told I was not allowed to show one quote from one company to a different company in order to bring the price down. But I figured both company's could pretend to be customers and get quotes from each other to figure out how much to charge their own product for.

I am in charge of projects and do this all the time. I will not state which companies gave which price or that price is the defining factor in giving out work, but I'll give all an opportunity to deliver the same scope cheaper.

This may literally be "We have quotes of X for the same scope, what do you bring that justifies the difference in price?"

About a year after I started my first position out of college, the company decided to force everyone to sign a non-compete. It was hugely broad and, upon advice from a lawyer, completely unenforceable. As I was still trying to get some experience under my belt I decided to go ahead and sign it. When I left a year after that, they didn't even threaten. They also didn't attempt litigation with the other four folks that left before I did. I'm pretty certain after that one mass attempt to get everyone locked down, they actually asked their attorney and stopped with that nonsense. I haven't been asked to sign one since.

Law on Noncompetes, no need to sign one

I try to keep up with some changes in Employment Law and subscribe to several newsletters. Here are a couple of links some might find interesting. The one I like is Jimmy Johns making their sandwich makers sign a noncompete that potentially excluded them from working at any food business, including school cafeterias, within 3 miles of and Jimmy Jonn's business in the US. Draw a 3 mile circle around any Jimmy John's in say Dallas, Houston, New York and see the area you have left.

Marco Rubio recently introduced a bill in Congress to limit these contracts.

https://www.workforce.com/2018/01/25/wile-e-coyote-method-noncompete-litigation/

https://www.workforce.com/2014/05/22/apparently-noncompetes-dont-need-to-be-signed-to-be-enforced/

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jimmy-johns-non-compete_n_5978180
Jimmy John’s Makes Low-Wage Workers Sign ‘Oppressive’ Noncompete Agreements

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.go...tatenoncompete***plainer_unembargoedfinal.pdf
A PDF of different State's Laws.