GuardLogix with Hot Backup

kshong

Just wondering if i can implement hot backup logic for Guardlogix?

Understand that Guardlogix has a Safety Task routine. Will the hot backup logic interfere with it?

o_O

ControlLogix Redundancy is a high-availability system that uses dual controllers, dual chassis, and dual networks.

GuardLogix is a machine safety system that uses an in-chassis safety "partner" to give logic solution redundancy for machine safety applications. the GuardLogix CPUs have red plastic cases and specific Safety features in their firmware.

You cannot combine ControlLogix Redundancy with GuardLogix Safety. If you have a GuardLogix controller, you will find that the Redundancy checkbox is removed from the controller properties menu.

If you have an application that requires safety performance and availability that those systems cannot meet individually, you probably need a triple redundant or other industry-specific or application-specific controller.

ControlLogix Redundancy is a high-availability system that uses dual controllers, dual chassis, and dual networks.

GuardLogix is a machine safety system that uses an in-chassis safety "partner" to give logic solution redundancy for machine safety applications. the GuardLogix CPUs have red plastic cases and specific Safety features in their firmware.

You cannot combine ControlLogix Redundancy with GuardLogix Safety. If you have a GuardLogix controller, you will find that the Redundancy checkbox is removed from the controller properties menu.

If you have an application that requires safety performance and availability that those systems cannot meet individually, you probably need a triple redundant or other industry-specific or application-specific controller.

Understood on the redundancy checkbox. I'm clear that GuardLogix cannot be used for hardware redundancy (with 1756-RM2). What i want to ask is can i do software redundancy on GuardLogix? I mean it's just logic to inhibit the peer controller's control over the I/O. I'm not sure if there are other things in GuardLogix that prevents users from configuring software redundancy?

Rockwell did some work with those techniques for a while during the development of the Redundancy systems, but they were tightly coupled to Commercial Engineering efforts and to my knowledge have been entirely discontinued.

If you've got an RA engineering office discussing such an approach with you, you need to work directly with them.

I have a hard-refusal policy on discussing "software redundancy".

Rockwell did some work with those techniques for a while during the development of the Redundancy systems, but they were tightly coupled to Commercial Engineering efforts and to my knowledge have been entirely discontinued.

If you've got an RA engineering office discussing such an approach with you, you need to work directly with them.

I have a hard-refusal policy on discussing "software redundancy".

Ok. Appreciate your feedback on this. Thanks Ken.