OT: Hot enough for you?

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Man... I am so blessed to be indoors, I remember all the past jobs I have had and I feel for them 🍺

Remember drink water and if you stop sweating seek help heat stroke is nothing to play around with

Yes it is Mark.

Suppose to be 105 - 115 here (Omaha) and that my friend is too hot to even take the kayak out on the lake by my house.

I fish a lot (well use too) I remember fishing on Murray and seeing steam coming off the lake, the surface temps were so hot it was hard to breath... thats why my bass boat would do 80 :)

I heard on the news back in the 70's there were like 500 people died in the midwest one year, im old enough to remember but I dont... I guess because I lived in CA at the time and 115 was not out of the normal there, the humidity was lower so it just felt like a convection oven

I was in Havasu one year it was 126

Just a typical day's heat in the Mekong River delta (Vietnam).

Didn't hear the sky-is-falling warnings back then . . .

This past June it's the hottest June ever recorded.

As far as history goes, we are in one of the coolest period on earth. But keep in mind, it's not the absolute temperature that matters, it's the rate of change.

+1 Mendonsy

It may be perfect weather to bale hay but not so nice for the guys who have to stack the bales on the wagon or in the barn. My experience on the farm predates the huge round bales and the hay-in-a-big-plastic-bag state of the art.

+1 Mendonsy

It may be perfect weather to bale hay but not so nice for the guys who have to stack the bales on the wagon or in the barn. My experience on the farm predates the huge round bales and the hay-in-a-big-plastic-bag state of the art.
Yes, been there, done that. There is nothing quite like a nice warm hay barn with zero air circulation in the summer, but stacking about 120 bales on a wagon in bright sunshine is hot too.

Pretty hot in KS. I had to build a pretty good sized network (24 terminations) for a residential customer today. I scheduled it for a Friday so we could be in the air conditioning and have an easy half day. Then we got an emergency call from an HVAC company for an RTU that wasn't working.

I don't know what was hotter:

the roof
or
me after learning it was SOP for them to reset the 90A breaker when it tripped, see that there were 2 bad 90A breakers, and then be told that there was nothing wrong with the RTU.

31C here (88F), apparently feels like 38C (100F). Humid, too.

This is the kind of heat that's just not fun. Thankfully today I did mostly desk work.

@harryting, Perhaps I didn't understand fully. History wise, from ice core samples, the Earth should be in the cooling part of the heat cycle, but average temperatures have never been this high and are rising. It's the first cycle that breaks the pattern.
As an engineer, I see challenges and opportunities.

@harryting, Perhaps I didn't understand fully. History wise, from ice core samples, the Earth should be in the cooling part of the heat cycle, but average temperatures have never been this high and are rising. It's the first cycle that breaks the pattern.
As an engineer, I see challenges and opportunities.

I think you are thinking of human history. I should be clearer, I meant in geographic time-span not just the time when life appeared on earth. You are absolutely right in regard to the recent 800 millions year or so. We are actually in one of the cooling period.

Life over time, will adopt but the population of human will certainly change. Again, the rate of change is the problem and such change tend to lead to extinction events.

Threw many a bale of hay when I was a teenager, then helped stack them in the barn afterwards. After one summer the T-shirts I used for working in the fields had bleached out in the sun to a few shades lighter than they were at the beginning of the hay season... Working in a stuffy hay loft with all that dust in the air was a special kind of miserable.