Single VFD with multiple motors

rejoe.koshy

Hey guys ,
I am involved in a equipment installation process wherein the customer wants me to run multiple motors with a single VFD.

I am aware that the same can be done but the customer insists on sensor-less vector control mode of operation, which has got me thinking....I am not sure whether that the VFD can control multiple motors in this mode , if so how?

Pls advise...

Last edited:
Are they using all motors at once, or are they using 1 motor at a time?
You cannot use sensorless vector if more than one motor is running at the same time.
If you instead are controlling one motor at a time, you will have to store the motor tuning parameters for each of the motors, and change them when you select a different motor, perhaps using a network interface.
Also note that you need a separate motor overload downstream of the inverter, as the vfd cannot provide overload protection for multiple motors .
Is simpler to just use 3 inverters.

I wish my customer understood the technicalities ...But there is something that he showed me that got me bit confused. The cross travel motors of one of the cranes (DeMAG) he had was run by a single drive and that too on sensorless vector mode...:eek:

Now Demag is a reputed crane manufacturer .. so I am tempted believe that there something more to it than what meets the eye...