Remote Desktop Software

A little off topic, but would like some opinions. I have been using WebEx(paying $15/month) to take over a client's desktop to do troubleshooting, etc. Recently, I have found that I lose control of the desktop with certain applications(including Windows Device Manager). I tried TeamViewer today for an application that WebEx failed on, and it worked great. Went to buy a license and found out the cheapest option(for business use) is a $750 purchase. I already have the ability to remote into my own unattended office computers. I just need something to use when working with clients. It must be easy to use. Any suggestions? Again, I don't need to get into an unattended computer, but to have my client give me control of their desktop during a meeting/presentation.

LogMeIn is pretty easy to set up and use, and works easily from behind a router without needing any port forwarding set up. TightVNC is free and we use it on with several clients, but a VPN is a must as there is no encryption and just a simple password for gaining control.

I am not looking for a VPN. I do not want to deal with my client's IT department. I just want a simple way for me to explicitly ask to take control of their desktop, and them to give me that permission. When that session is done, I can no longer do anything.

You can try the Chrome Remote Desktop. Its free. You just need Google Chrome installed and a gmail account. It can set it up for one-time use (remote assistance) or permanent use (remote desktop). Client can be a desktop or your Android phone. The Android app lets you control your remote computer from your phone: cool. Was pretty easy to set up.

A little off topic, but would like some opinions. I have been using WebEx(paying $15/month) to take over a client's desktop to do troubleshooting, etc. Recently, I have found that I lose control of the desktop with certain applications(including Windows Device Manager). I tried TeamViewer today for an application that WebEx failed on, and it worked great. Went to buy a license and found out the cheapest option(for business use) is a $750 purchase. I already have the ability to remote into my own unattended office computers. I just need something to use when working with clients. It must be easy to use. Any suggestions? Again, I don't need to get into an unattended computer, but to have my client give me control of their desktop during a meeting/presentation.

For a temporary setup I use Join.me https://www.join.me. It's free and it works. You can even set it up on a machine that does not have admin level credentials.

Our permanent installations have licenses for TeamViewer. It's pricey but if you save just one airplane flight you've paid for it.

When I have a temporary installation that doesn't need to be unattended, I also use TeamViewer but I use the "don't install; run once" option that requires it to be attended and for somebody to call you with the one-time authentication code. It has a nag screen reminding you that it's for personal use, and I always say "I'm personally desperate for help from Stateside".

Usually use a mix of RDP & VNC, but just had to set-up a couple of Scada PC's with Radmin... Customer swears by it, and was easy to setup.. $50 US for the server end, viewer no cost.

Teamviewer: VPN, Through routers, unattended if needed, videoconference, chat, file transfer, VOIP,...

Not cheap, you can get it paying each month or paying a life licenes for around 900€.

Good luck!

Just to elaborate on the cost of Teamviewer.

The Teamviewer license is only for the end that does the remote support, like your home office. The remote sites that are supported are free. So you typically have one license, or 2-3 licenses and can support hundreds of customer sites.

I am not looking for a VPN. I do not want to deal with my client's IT department. I just want a simple way for me to explicitly ask to take control of their desktop, and them to give me that permission. When that session is done, I can no longer do anything.

If you can get to the Internet from the client computer and the company "Internet policy" allows you to download/install LogMeIn, it will work. (I have run into some company IT departments that block it.)
I have been amazed at how well logmein "tunnels" its way out of a clients network system.
The client can also "switch off" logmein from the task bar notification area, to protect your unauthorized entry.

When you buy the logmein software, it allows several computers to be setup for access. so you can use it for all your clients.

Last edited: