Metal Object Detector (direct contact)

barryoc

Lifetime Supporting Member
Guy,

I looking for a sensor that I saw used on a packaging machine. Plastic was shrunk onto the packaged object, but it the plastic was not present a "probe" made contact with the metal package and the shrink process did not occur.

I remember that touching the "probe" that made contact with the metal package resulted in one getting a slight shock.

Can anyone guide me to what type of sensor this was?

Regards,
Barry.

I don't know of a supplier, but I have made my own version of this by using a small 12 volt DC power supply with a DC relay wired in series to the probe. When the probe makes continuity it closes the relay to provide a signal.

Thanks mendonsy,

I will work on that idea.

From memory the unit I am referring to had a din rail mounted "controller" that supplied the lead to the probe, and when a short to the metal container occurred the "controller" supplied the input to the PLC.

Many thanks folks.