Tight on space in panel.How does Cat6 Enet cable and 480 vac play together ?

The A-B Ethernet cable is indeed rated for 600V insulation AND is rated M3 I3 C3 E3 as far as ISOLATION and noise immunity, the highest rating available.
https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/td/1585-td001_-en-p.pdf

It’s also rated as PLTC (Power Limited Tray Cable) so it can be run in parallel with 480V cables anywhere. A-B uses it inside of their MCCs and doesn’t need a separate wireway like others. I’ve used it ever since I heard about it, I’ve never had issues (other than installer errors with regard to making up my own connectors...).

This is what I use also and never had any issues. If you wanted to put it in the wire duct and make it look neat (I do) then if using Panduit wire duct you can get the shielding separator which makes 1 piece of wire duct into 2 and the ethernet cable can go on one side and the 480 on the other where it needs to run parallel and it will provide additional shielding.

You should also be using VFD cable on the VFD's so that should mitigate most of the noise on those and will keep the noise from radiating outside the cable.

Yes. I see this all the time. 10 years after the panels are installed.

Since you are building it, avoid routing the wires in parallel.

The bizarro world of problems will ultimately happen when everyone is troubleshooting an issue, and it becomes questionable, 10 years from now, whether the wires are "inducing" noise on the ethernet.

Many experts will chime in, and many managed switch settings will be forever modified.

Sparky will find that a fuse block burned up and some how a grounded loop fed back to source, which will be asserted by an outside source.

Contactors and relays will be changed, and wires will be mixed up. Wiring will be modified, and prints will not be updated.

15 years from now the cabinet will catch on fire. Many cables will be fried. I will have to fix it in a jiffy.

Needless to say, I will force rungs in the program, and butt-splice it all, in the hurry, always meaning to get back to the prints.

When I realize I need to run some specialized, isolated 600V, multi shielded cable fo fix your application, I will ask myself, is there a spare 40 feet in the bottem of the cabinet? If I needed to do an immediate repair on this, what are the chances of getting your fancy cable NOW! We have a few patch cords and some shielded cat-6 in the junkpile, but why do I need uvxcvyx cable? I need to fix this now, and I'm not sure if it's a "NOISE" issue or a lack of documentation, or proper cable.

I understand you are only wiring a panel with some drives, but I see this stuff all the time.

If you can get away with it now, don't become complacent and think you can achieve the same results over a longer run. Set it up in a way you would be willing to fix if it were a problem, say, 10 years from now.

If you are at an opportunity to fix it now, I would recommend you do it the tried and true way of not mixing the cables.

Interesting thread. Thanks for posting!

In my experience.....
Obviously don't run cat cable parallel in the same conduit.
But I've seen 24 VDC switching power supplies to be the worst culprit of induced voltage on wiring. Seen it turn an inductive prox switch into a capacitive prox switch and even shock a guy.
I recommend shielded cat (make sure that the shield actually connects to ground. it does on the modbus hub we use).
If they have to cross, 90 degree angles.

I would not daisy chain Enet on VFDs. If you power down 1.... or if it looses power on failure, it breaks the chain.
I usually go directly over the top of the drives crossing the power at 90 degrees and loop down between the drives with each cable.
Zip tie down open cables.

Last edited:
I would not daisy chain Enet on VFDs. If you power down 1.... or if it looses power on failure, it breaks the chain.
I usually go directly over the top of the drives crossing the power at 90 degrees and loop down between the drives with each cable.

I don't think it supports daisy chain. The DSI is explained above from Ken and it is serial (485), not Enet.

Thanks for all your advice . I need to read up on it , but is the Ethernet port on the PowerFlex 525 , grounded ?

Thanks

Drive Serial Interface, "DSI".

Rockwell used RS-485 wiring and mostly-Modbus protocol for the serial bus on the PowerFlex 4-series, instead of the faster but more expensive CAN-based SCANPort (1336 family) or Drive Peripheral Interface (DPI) on the PowerFlex 7-series.

The PowerFlex 525's carried over that interface so that they could replace/integrate with PowerFlex 4-series. It's an RJ45 plug because all industrial designers have an unquenchable desire to confuse people about the purpose of a port with a common kind of plug.

You should not need to touch the DSI connector if you're connecting these drives to an Ethernet network.

DSI is built into the control board but you can get a dual port ethernet card.

I may be a little rusty - it has been a while - but don't the Powerflex 525's have dual ethernet ports?

Are you daisy chaining these or running an individual cable to each drive?

I would route the 480vac wire in the ducts.

Then, I would bring ethernet in from one spot on the panel with an external connection - hopefully in a 90 degree angle to the 480 ductwork. I would run the ethernet cables completely outside the ductwork and just daisy chain the drives from one to the next (using short cables).

Dual port ethernet is not built in but an add-on card can be purchased

Using DLR would cure this problem.

Last edited: