PLC Panel Building

irondesk40

Anyone use a electric metal nibbling tool to cut out squares, etc. in control panels. If so which model are you using? Looking at getting one. Thanks

I carefully cut out anything larger than the .177" square KO I have with a hand grinder with a cut-off disk (carefully, otherwise fill welds and grinding is needed)

I used a nibbler before, but only on sheet metal RV roof openings for vents, and don't think I would try one on 12 gauge steel.

My experience has been similar. The nibbler can work well on very thin sheet metal but not nearly as easy to cut straight as a cut off wheel or jig saw.

You asked for electric, but if you have air available consider a pneumatic jigsaw. I use a Blue Point AT192. I’ve seen what appears to be the same model in other brands. It’s not as fast as a cutoff wheel or electric saw, but it’s lightweight and precise. It doesn’t use much air. A small pancake compressor would be sufficient.

For large holes, I’ll use a cutoff wheel in an angle grinder for the straight cuts and finish the corners with the air saw.

I like using a dremel tool with cutoff wheels. The wheels are not big enough to overcut too far in the corners. I use the rotary flex shaft attachment and any overcuts are usually covered up by the flanges on the device.

I use a jigsaw but I know of a large shop that uses a CNC Plasma cutter it's really fast and clean.

We have a plasma cutter and a guy who is really good with it that we will use when he's available. It is by far the fastest. Also the fastest way to ruin a panel door if you screw up. Me, I stick with the noisy, messy jigsaw or cutting disc.

I order them laser cut from the manufacturer and there are several AB distributors where I am that have their own Hoffman / Stein Hauer mod center and will do them cheap if you are buying the panels from them.

The Hoffman mod center will drill and tap your backplates also.

You can also find a local machine shop with a laser or a water jet to do them.

It's so much easier this way and saves time you can spend on more valuable activities.

Last edited:
I was just going to post about water cutting and how the people that we buy the panels from does it for us. But Phil beat me to it. So I agree w/ Phil.
Personally was unaware of the drill the back plate option. good to know.

Saginaw Electric also will custom cutout their cabinets, along with make custom size enclosures. I use them since they are in Michigan, but I am sure almost every enclosure maker provides a cutout service.