SLC 5/05 connect via wifi

retirednow

Hi,

I have an AB SLC 5/05 installed in the garage in my garden approximately 20 meters from the house.

I am hoping to get some advice on connecting to the 5/05's Ethernet port using WiFi, allowing me to go online with it either from my desktop in the house (connected to my hub/modem) or via my laptop (connected to hub/modem via WiFi)

Can this be done using inexpensive 'domestic' WiFi/Ethernet devices?

The garage is just in range of the the house WiFi when tested using my laptop down there.

I know a direct network cable is technically the easiest solution but the house/garage layout makes cabling very messy.

Can I connect the SLC’s Ethernet port to a port on a WiFi range extender device mounted in the garage alongside the SLC?

I have RsLogix 500 and RsLinx Classic.

Any help/advice/comments would be much appreciated.

Hi,

I have an AB SLC 5/05 installed in the garage in my garden approximately 20 meters from the house.

I am hoping to get some advice on connecting to the 5/05's Ethernet port using WiFi, allowing me to go online with it either from my desktop in the house (connected to my hub/modem) or via my laptop (connected to hub/modem via WiFi)

Can this be done using inexpensive 'domestic' WiFi/Ethernet devices?

The garage is just in range of the the house WiFi when tested using my laptop down there.

I know a direct network cable is technically the easiest solution but the house/garage layout makes cabling very messy.

Can I connect the SLC’s Ethernet port to a port on a WiFi range extender device mounted in the garage alongside the SLC?

I have RsLogix 500 and RsLinx Classic.

Any help/advice/comments would be much appreciated.

When I am in a customers facility I am typically using WIFI as I have to be all over the place. With that said yes you can do it. I set up my cheap domestic WIFI as a hub and connect it to the switch the PLC is on or directly to the plc if you prefer. Once you can see it in linx you're good to go. It will work for a 5/05.

As far as a range extender goes I've not tried that but over a standard WIFI yes.

Thanks Dirtleg,
I’m not particularly knowledgeable about WiFi devices, perhaps “range extender’ was the wrong device/description used.
What device are you suggesting?

Buffalo Nfiniti Wireless ethernet converter or something similar should do the trick. I usually refer to this as a bridge. $20 used on EBay. Sets up easy,almost like your wifi router but give it a static address. Just make sure you have a decent signal. If not then you will need a range extender, but you will still also need the Nfiniti.

Last edited:
I agree with "OkiePC". Creating a wireless bridge to your garage will provide a much better, cleaner solution, and should you add hardware in the future your network will be in place.

For my home setup I have 4 SLC's. The main 5/05 and one other are wired to the network, the other 2 are in areas without network connections and I have each of them on these range extenders, one of the extenders does go to a switch so more items are connected, plus they give a better connection for phones too far away from the house WiFi

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgea...h-ethernet-port-white/2733324.p?skuId=2733324

Thanks Damica, I think I now need to find a low priced network bridge pair, bearing in mind this will not pay for itself, it is only a hobby!
Thanks Aabeck, did you also have a bridge setup?

Last edited:
SLC 5/05 Ethernet Port

Right... this I wasn't expecting.
Before I set up the WiFi I need to communicate to the 5/05 via Ethernet.

Connecting to my laptop via the serial com port to the 5/05 Channel 0 is ok, but I can't figure out what I have to do to use the Ethernet port to go online?
I can't see the 5/05 PLC in Who Active.

The PLC has been used previously so has data in the Channel Configuration 'set-up' pages for Ethernet.

See attachments...

Should I clear everything? or battery out for half hour?

Walk me through someone?

Chan Config Gen.jpg Chan Config 0 Sys.jpg Chan Config 1 Sys.jpg Conttroller Props Gen.jpg Conttroller Props Comms.jpg

EDIT: your PC screenshot shows it to be on a different network.
You will need to set up the LAN port of your PC on the same network as the SLC in order for it to work. So set up your PC IPv4 properties to 192.168.0.193 (or any number other than 10 for the 4th octet) with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Don't worry about the Gateway address, it won't matter for a direct connection.

EDIT 2: Here is a link that looks like a good tutorial for how to do the above:
https://kb.netgear.com/27476/How-to-set-a-static-IP-address-in-Windows

If that doesn't get you there, you may have to use the RSLinx Driver type called "Ethernet Devices" and when setting it up, enter the IP address from your Channel 1 properties into the Browse list for the driver.

Some old 5/05s don't respond to the more modern Ethernet/IP driver browse attempts.

If you have trouble, post a screen shot of your RSLinx browse window, driver settings, and PC LAN properties.

Last edited: