240V power supply wiring diagram

• Thread starter insert_username_here
  • Start date

insert_username_here

I
Hi, does anyone know what a wiring diagram of a 240V power supply to a plc and pump looks like?

What i SHOULD have said is can someone please SHOW me what one looks like...

I dont but I can offer some things to help get started

If you read some plc manuals and starter manuals you can determine how the wiring could be done. I offer these pictures to help you get started.

This is a generic starter that is using a DC power supply for the control wiring.
3phasemotorwiring.jpg

This is an AD DL05 generic wiring scenario.
dl05wiring.jpg

I am not here to judge

First and foremost I did not give a diagram for a plc and a pump. I offered examples for the basics.

I provide this info because it helps me maintain and/or advance what I know about certain things.

So, its homework, reading a book or reading a message on a forum is different? The idea is to learn, where better than those that are experienced in the field?

I offer simple things like this everyday..Example:
http://www.patchn.com/electrical.htm

HAS
stopstartmotor.gif

rsdoran, I don't mean to be picky because I think you do an awesome site, but I want my controls at a lower voltage (prefer 24 VDC or max 120 VAC). No line voltage for pushbuttons especially if the system is 480 VAC. I know you know this because I have seen what you do at patchn.com, just don't want some idiot to kill themselves (or someone else) because they saw something on the internet and are now experts at it. Some of these people (read students) don't seem to be learning anything at all, just getting everyone else to do there work for them. The day they get a real job and have someone hook up a motor circuit "just like they saw on the internet" is the day that some poor unsuspecting soul will get hurt or die. Again please don't take this as criticism, just look at this as a footnote to the circuit.

If you noticed the first picture used a DC power supply for the control circuit, either a 120vac or 24vdc supply is standard especially when a plc is involved.

Also note that the picture above is in no way improper or incorrect. To this day many systems are wired direct with supply voltage. I also dont care for this method but it is acceptable.

I guess I DO

There was such an overwhelming response to my posts that I thought I should expand on my previous diagrams. Attached is a pdf file with a plc, hydraulic pump and spindle motor diagram.

I provide this info because it helps me maintain and/or advance what I know about certain things.

So, its homework, reading a book or reading a message on a forum is different? The idea is to learn <snip>

That's the same reason why I answer the questions. If you ever want to know how LITTLE you know about something, try teaching it to someone else.

Phrases that are used to hide ignorance:

"It's too complicated to explain."
Translation: I don't really understand how it works.

"That's not covered in this class."
Translation: Can mean exactly what it says, but usually means "I don't really understand how it works."

"Don't worry about it. You'll never use it."
Translation: You'll never use it because I can't explain it, because I don't really understand how it works.

;)

Each and every post here is from people that may be students, hobbyists or work in different fields of automation, electrical, maintenance etc.

Many questions are improperly or poorly phrased, this one being a good example.
Hi, does anyone know what a wiring diagram of a 240V power supply to a plc and pump looks like?
The simple answer to that is YES. I am sure many of us know what it could look like.

The odds of me offering a drawing that exactly matches the needs for this post or any student post similar would be high. In most cases what I offer is just generic/basic drawings that can be obtained from many sources.

We are a RESOURCE. PLC.net, mrplc.com, patchn.com, ifps.org and the list goes on. WHO better to inform the "students" of today on HOW to for any subject?

My motives for answering these questions are basically selfish, the more I answer the more I learn. I have also gained in the ability to explain to others. There are some areas that I can easily provide info and explanations for. There are others that I can provide info but the explanation will be weak. There are also the areas I dont have a clue about, which by far are more numerous then the first 2.

I will continue to provide information, pictures etc when I can AND want too.

rsdoran said:
Each and every post here is from people that may be students, hobbyists or work in different fields of automation, electrical, maintenance etc.

I totally understand the benefits to all by sharing information. However, the thread starter really irked me earlier.

First he started this thread, which he bumped a number of times.

When he didn't get the answers he wanted, he posted a bunch of **** like this Thread and this one.

He then logged off and started re-posted his original question as a guest (this very thread)

That kind of behavior is absured.
The best kind of response that I can think of (short of banning his IP address) is just to ignore him. I'm certainly not going to do him any favors, even if the teaching exercise may help me a little.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that condoning and fostering that kind of childish behavior is likely to make things worse in ways that can't be offset by the gains in understanding that I may get by teaching something.

I didn't realize this was the "poo guy" (as I referred to him in my head).

Had I, I would not have posted to this troll's thread at all.

How were we supposed to know this was the same guy? I never saw the first post, so never saw this question... Once I saw the "poo posts," I stopped clicking on his threads altogether.

Last edited: