Need help with European Power cord plug wiring?

XIO

Hi guys,

I am confused about the way a power cord plug should be connected. We have a single phase, 200-240VAC, 50Hz machine. I have a plug with L1, L2, L3, Neutral and Ground. I thought that we were supposed to connect this plug line to line (L1 and L2) but people tell me that it should be Line to Neutral (L1 and N). This machine was tested here in the U.S but using a single phase plug that has L1,L2, and Gnd only. I thought that if we where to connect the machine to L1 and N we would get only 115VAC, is this incorrect?

Thanks
Greg

No, you won't get 115. European voltage is 380 volt phase to phase or 400 volt phase to phase. That means that phase to neutral gives you 220 volts or 230 volts.

Alaric said:
No, you won't get 115. European voltage is 380 volt phase to phase or 400 volt phase to phase. That means that phase to neutral gives you 220 volts or 230 volts.

Is this the standard?. So they don't have, lets say 200-240VAC phase to phase that will give about 100-120VAC phase to neutral?. Is there a web site where I can get all the stardard voltages in different coutries?.

Thanks a lot for the info.

Hi,
I confirm that in Europe the phase to phase voltage is 400VAC and Neutral to phase is 230VAC. All domestic application use that schema. Then a 230VAC 50Hz Machine has to be connected between L1 and N in Europe.

In some very old European plants the phase to phase is 230 VAC and the neutral to phase 110VAC because they ave old power station .This schema is no longer used on new equipements.

XIO said:
Is this the standard?. So they don't have, lets say 200-240VAC phase to phase that will give about 100-120VAC phase to neutral?. Is there a web site where I can get all the stardard voltages in different coutries?.

Thanks a lot for the info.

Do you require 120AC for control?
You will have to get it from a transformer.