Copy or import RS500 data file to excel

godfrey

How do I get the data from the N16 data file into excel. I'm using RS500, V 8.10. The Tools/Database/ASCII export does not get me there.

I've been trying a DDE link but it pastes all zeros and I know there is data there.
I was doing this while online but I no longer have access to the PLC today.
Can this be done offline?

If you are offline, what exactly do you think the DDE link is pointing to?

I have no idea how to get the values saved in the .RSS file into Excel. It seems that a simple COPY and PASTE doesn't work, since RSLogix is non-standards compliant with Windows.

Print the data table out to a text file, open that up in Notepad, Highlight what you want, Copy it, and Paste it into Excel. Best I can come up with.

Print the data table out to a text file, open that up in Notepad, Highlight what you want, Copy it, and Paste it into Excel. Best I can come up with.

Not a bad idea.
I thought that once I highlighted the entire data table and copied and paste. It may been a dream.

Yes, that works.
If you set up a report with the data table(s) you want, then print to .pdf, you can then select and copy/paste easily.

I did a test with file F8:0. The first time, it used the default data table view with five columns, and the labels along the left like this:

Offset 0 1 2 3 4
F8:0 0 0 10.8 0 1080
F8:5 20 40.4 10.803 371.5 461.5
F8:10 19.5 0.2465 53.9 90 220​
F8:15 273 450 23.99 90.05041 91

So, I opened the data table in RSLogix and changed Columns to 1, and did it again. Sure enough, I got this:

Offset 0 (Symbol) Description
F8:0 0 Water Accumlated total last interval
F8:1 0 Accumulated Water Flow Divided by 1000
F8:2 10.8 From RSView Final 1 Water Qty Setpoint
F8:3 0 Water Accumlated total
F8:4 1080 Water Qty Final 1
F8:5 20 FINAL 1 NEXT TGT LV IN %
F8:6 40.4 FINAL 1 NEXT TGT LV IN %​
F8:7 10.803 To/From RSView Accumulated Water Flow Last Cycle

So, changing the data table settings in RSLogix will affect how your report ends up looking, and may make copying and pasting into excel easier.

To go from the above to excel, I did a select all, then paste into Notepad, then save as a txt file, then import into excel and chose Delimited with space as a deliminiting character.

So, I opened the data table in RSLogix and changed Columns to 1, and did it again. Sure enough, I got this:

WOW, I didn't know you could do that. I like that, very easy to read/view the data. With descriptions next to them. Similar to a custom data monitor ( which you can print out with the report option).

Last edited:
If this is a one time offline transfer,

1)Save the file as a .SLC library file.
2)Open the .SLC file in any text editor.
3)Find the data section for N16.
4)Copy
5)Paste in Excel.