Poll for UL508A MTR Test Results

How did you do on the UL508A MTR Test? (Private results, so be honest)

• Passed this on the first try.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Failed on the first attempt, but passed on the second attempt.

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Failed on two attempts.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hence my deletion of a hasty reply.

Keep in mind, the standard is for ‘Industrial Control Panels’

The answer is in the standard, but the question is most certainly worded in a way that can be easily misconstrued. Like it or not, I imagine that’s by design.

Sample Questions

Can someone please share some more sample questions from the test. And is it sufficient to have the UL508A standard and the other manuals on the UL website during the test.

Passed on the 2nd attempt

The second attempt was much easier. The first time around I hadn't spent much time on Low Voltage Limited Energy circuits and SCCR analysis and hence recieved less than ideal results. I thoroughly reviewed these two sections the second time around and passed at 85%. My boss who is a 40 year veteran in the panels industry passed the exam at his first attempt.

Can someone please share some more sample questions from the test. And is it sufficient to have the UL508A standard and the other manuals on the UL website during the test.
It would be against UL policy to share/screenshot exam questions. So much more satisfying to just study and pass the exam without knowing the questions. I would recommend having hard copies and PDFs up on your 2nd screen of the following, 1. UL standard and both 2. Supplement A and 3. Supplement B. The PDFs will help you find any appropriate sections quickly if you don't remember where its at. Hard copies will let you reference your highlighted notes if you need to reference those quickly.

As noted on a related thread, UL has placed training materials online, extended the requirement deadline, and reviewed the test bank questions.

I applaud them for doing so. When I took the test, there were a couple questions where the correct answer didn't appear to be present.

Those of you taking the test now are not taking the same test that was initially rolled out. I wasn't impressed with the initial test, hence the poll. Apparently the initial failure rate must have been pretty high, or UL wouldn't have responded as they have.

When I have some free time, I plan on going through the online training as a refresher.

So thumbs up to UL, whatever one feels about certification!

I have been checking online for the new training materials and haven't seen them yet. I wanted to go over it even though I passed the initial test on the second try.
This is the UL website I was searching for it:
https://ultraining.myabsorb.com

Is this the correct area? If you know where it is located could you please provide a link.

Thank you

Go to your My UL portal and login. On the homepage once you get logged in there is a tile that says "enrollment key". Enter UL508ALEARN as the key, then go to my courses tile and you should see the start button for the course.

I will fair warn you, the beginning is very basic and my be a waste of time for most.

I took the test this morning and passed with an 85% on the first attempt. It took me 3 hours and 20 minutes, with some distractions in between.

A few notes...

1) I would recommend you have an electronic copy of the standard, if you are in the panel shop program you can get an electronic copy free. This allows you to CTRL+F the standard to find things quicker.

2)Make sure you have time allotted to analyze the questions and come up with the best answer, I am not a seasoned vet to 508A but not a noob either, and I found the test pretty challenging.

3) As pointed out before make sure you are up to date on SCCR calculations and the like. Specifically, fuses on the feeder circuits and how peak let through plays into SCCR. Also make sure you are aware of how transformers play into SCCR.

There is a course for free on UL right now that basically is the webinar version of the in person instruction. There are module that you can do to brush up on certain areas, you dont have to do the whole thing. To be completely honest, I dont think I would have passed on the first attempt without first reviewing a few of those course modules.

I guess in final thoughts, dont disregard it as a red tape requirement, it was a challenging test.

Oh, and you will also need the current SA open on your desktop and for some the product IQ would be helpful to have open as well.

Did you study all of the UL508A sections covered in the exam? It seems like it is more important know where to find info than knowing everything by heart, especially with all of the exceptions and footnotes for every topic. I found it comparable to reading an IRS publication.

I didn’t do all of the modules. If you can read a standard and find things that’s a plus. However, there are many questions where you have to reference several sections to obtain the right answer. You must know some items, they can’t be taught or answer a question simply by reading a standard. Especially when it comes to sccr, if you’re not up to date on sccr there is now way you could read and apply the standard and answer the questions correctly in the time limit.

Are you getting all questions at once? Or you won't proceed to next question unless you provide answer to the current one?
Do you know immediately if you answer is correct?

PaulB

Where do you get these PDF's? Our trainer said we would get pdf's as well so I inquired after the training and the woman didn't know what I was talking about. I know you can get them from the UL store but they are ~$800.

I took the test this morning and passed with an 85% on the first attempt. It took me 3 hours and 20 minutes, with some distractions in between.

A few notes...

1) I would recommend you have an electronic copy of the standard, if you are in the panel shop program you can get an electronic copy free. This allows you to CTRL+F the standard to find things quicker.

2)Make sure you have time allotted to analyze the questions and come up with the best answer, I am not a seasoned vet to 508A but not a noob either, and I found the test pretty challenging.

3) As pointed out before make sure you are up to date on SCCR calculations and the like. Specifically, fuses on the feeder circuits and how peak let through plays into SCCR. Also make sure you are aware of how transformers play into SCCR.

There is a course for free on UL right now that basically is the webinar version of the in person instruction. There are module that you can do to brush up on certain areas, you dont have to do the whole thing. To be completely honest, I dont think I would have passed on the first attempt without first reviewing a few of those course modules.

I guess in final thoughts, dont disregard it as a red tape requirement, it was a challenging test.