Using existing PanelView Plus 6 application with PLC program ported from MLX to CLX

technolog

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm converting a Micrologix 1400 (1766-L32BXB) PLC program with a PanelView Plus 6 (2711P-K6M5D8) HMI to a Compactlogix (1769-L30ER) PLC with a PanelView Plus 6 (2711P-K6M20D8) HMI.

The PLC conversion process is now complete and I'm hoping to use the HMI application program 'as is' and just change the 'hooks' into the PLC program.

The HMI tags don't seem to have been imported originally from the PLC as the tag names are not the same as their PLC counterparts.

The Address field of the Tags dialog in Factory Talk View Studio - View Machine Edition is currently populated with addresses like:

::[plc_15]N7:99

Do I have to go through and change the N7:99 portion to the new CompactLogix tag for the same data, in this case FILE_NUMBER so that it would now read

::[plc_15]FILE_NUMBER

This pre-supposes that I keep the existing device shortcut [plc_15] and point it to the IP address of the new terminal.

My boss has suggested expoting the HMI tags as a .csv file and editing it in Excel as it will be easier.

Is this the correct and best methodology? Is there a quicker way than manually editing (in Excel or elsewhere).

You might be able to use PLC/SLC Mapping in the Logix5000 controller to make those addresses "look like" the Micrologix files they once were.

The gotcha is going to be the data types. I have not done a conversion myself but if INTs got changed to DINTs then it ain't going to work without some extra logic.

You may be able to quickly recreate the files in the right types with a few lines of ladder logic but how easy this is going to be compared to reworking the PV+ program is going to depend a lot on how organized the tags are in the PV application. If they are scattered all over the place, you may as well just re-do the Panelview tags.