level transmitter

shkoko2000

Dear sir,

Rosemount model (3051CD3A22A1AM5B4C6Q8) pressure transmitter used for measuring level of heat exchanger (shell and tube)(wet leg type) with serial (1677827) but the problem that after increasing the capacity, there is sludge built up and transmitter need to drain daily. I want to solve this problem by replacing this transmitter by one of below two options(from my point of view):

1- Radar type.

2-Remote seal diaphragm.

i want to guide me for the right choice.

1-if the remote seal is the right choice,

the installed flanged(that used for old DP transmitter) is 2" CL300 RF and i have already a new transmitter but the flange is small(approx. 1") so can i use increaser for this case.

2- if the radar is the right choice,

what recommended type that i use,non contact or guided.
Note:
1-the maximum operating temp is 260 c and max pressure is 160 psi.
2-the heat exchanger is already operated so i don't have bridle to put the radar transmitter.
regards,

If the remote diaphragm seal on the new transmitter is only a 1" diaphragm and not a 2" diaphragm, it will be far less sensitive, probably not sensitive enough for a low elevation level.

I can't think of a reason not to use a reducer to go from a 1" port to a 2" diaphragm, other than doing so will not reduce sludge retention; in fact it is more likely to accumulate sludge in the bottom of the reducer because there's no way for sludge to escape (assuming the port/diaphragm orientation is vertical).

With regard to Guide Wave Radar (GWR), there are three potential issues

- operating conditions: you'll have to shop to find one that is rated for the pressure and temperature conditions.

- blind zone: most GWRs have a blind zone at both the top and bottom; the top close to the transmitter and the bottom at the end of the rod/cable. If the dimensions are such that a GWR rod/cable can be installed and the level measurement does not fall into a blind zone, then GWT should work.

- sludge: radar reports level when it sees a change in dielectric. Air is low dielectric, sludge is high dielectric. Sludge on the rod/cable is likely to appear as a false level.

I have a difficult time seeing how a non-contact radar would shoot a beam in a closed heat exchanger, but maybe I'm missing something.

I second Dan's comments on GWR. We don't use a lot but sometimes customers spec them in our smaller hydraulic tanks and it becomes a huge problem to get them set up right. The one we've had the most luck with is from Magnetrol.

Perhaps you could call them and see if they think it will even work. Hopefully you have a good dimensional drawing of the tank as the Radar level transducers reflect off everything nearby.

So which better to use for my case and Is there another type to use in my situation rather than remote seal and radar...