Micrologix 1100 wifi network

apis

I am a system integrator. I want to make a network using Allen Bradley Micrologix 1100 and wifi equipment the comercial use (Dlink, Belkin, etc) i want to use this kind of equipment beacuse its cost.
I know industrial wifi equipment it is too expensive and it is proven that works but each wifi cost (USD $1200-2000) (Prolinx, Datalinc, Steem, etc).

PLC1:Micrologix 1100 (Ethernet) linked to a wifi equipment. Master
PLC2:Micrologix 1100 (Ethernet) linked to a wifi equipment.Slave 1
PLC7:Micrologix 1100 (Ethernet) linked to a wifi equipment.Slave 6

Now i make the linked based in a wired ethernet connection and it works ok. Then I try to make this link with wifi equipment but i could not make it. I think beacuse ia am using the wrong equipment.

Someone could give some advice.

How far apart are each of your devices? Most likely, you'll look for Wireless Bridges at each PLC (or set of close PLCS connected to a switch) as the Client/Slave connecting to a wireless access point or router. Much of the distinction is in software/firmware. Just keep the idea of access points separate from bridges. You may need to consider amplified or even directional antennas.

You can use commercial/home equipment. Practically speaking there isn't a difference in the hardware from say a RadioLinx and an Access Point you get from Walmart. I've successfully networked PLC's with off the shelf AP's, however the real difference lies in the mode of operation, and some off the shelf Radios won't operate in Bridge Mode as they are designed for Home or Office use. I would recommend buying the Linksys Wireless Routers Model WRT54g). Then Google WRT54G and you'll find all kinds of Hacked Firmware that can be flashed to them to make them behave in just about any manner you want. In fact a great deal of the (Integrated) AP's that sell for several hundred or even Thousand Dollars are the WRT54G routers taken out of the case and put into custom enclosures with custom firmware. The Linksys routers sell for about 50 bucks and have dual antenna connectors so with the right firmware they can act in Bridge/Repeater Mode and then you can connect directional antennas or even two different types of antennas for Uni-Directional and Omni-Directional (point to point) connections. There are even some hardware mods online for the WRT54G to boost output etc.

Good luck.

Eric

I had forgotten about that - You're the man Eric! Get a few WRT54Gs off of ebay and play around with the "hacked" firmware...what a great idea. I need to think more like a geek more often.

This site describes how to upgrade your "$60 router into a $600 router". He specifically describes boosting the power output in software and implementing QoS - two very useful features. You'll be more interested in the operating modes, which I'd bet the (firmware) project supports.

arkansascontrols said:
You can use commercial/home equipment. Practically speaking there isn't a difference in the hardware from say a RadioLinx and an Access Point you get from Walmart. I've successfully networked PLC's with off the shelf AP's, however the real difference lies in the mode of operation, and some off the shelf Radios won't operate in Bridge Mode as they are designed for Home or Office use. I would recommend buying the Linksys Wireless Routers Model WRT54g). Then Google WRT54G and you'll find all kinds of Hacked Firmware that can be flashed to them to make them behave in just about any manner you want. In fact a great deal of the (Integrated) AP's that sell for several hundred or even Thousand Dollars are the WRT54G routers taken out of the case and put into custom enclosures with custom firmware. The Linksys routers sell for about 50 bucks and have dual antenna connectors so with the right firmware they can act in Bridge/Repeater Mode and then you can connect directional antennas or even two different types of antennas for Uni-Directional and Omni-Directional (point to point) connections. There are even some hardware mods online for the WRT54G to boost output etc.

Good luck.

Eric

Last edited:
Hello, i tell you that now i connect the 2 Micrologix 1000 plc with wifi network. I will try to exopand my Tx length using a better outdoor antenna.

I use 2 WRT54G with a firmware from dd wrt and operate the eqipment in WDS mode. I will inform you about my progress.

Thanks

Linksys advertises that the Wireless-N has extended ranging over the Wireless-G, and there is even a model that utilizes multiple radios on the 5.8GHz and 2.4GHz spectrums. May want to look at them.

In addition, there are custom firmware upgrades that can improve the WRT54G depending on the model that you have.

I'm glad to hear that you got it to work. What mode did you end up configuring the devices in? How far apart are they and are you using WEP?

For everyone else, I would be pretty hesitant to do this for a customer, but would consider this for personnal use in a heartbeat. Depends on the application and budget.

apis said:
Hello, i tell you that now i connect the 2 Micrologix 1000 plc with wifi network. I will try to exopand my Tx length using a better outdoor antenna.

I use 2 WRT54G with a firmware from dd wrt and operate the eqipment in WDS mode. I will inform you about my progress.

Thanks