CCW Standard And Developer Versions

lpanek

Hello Guys,

Does anyone know if program created in the developer version of CCW can be opened using the standard version of the software. I understand that the additional futures that are reserved for developer version will not be available.
I have a customer who does not want to purchase the developer version of the software but he wants to be able to go online with the controller and make changes to the code. My programming would be way easier if I could use UDTs but I am wondering if he will be able to work with this version of code. Thanks

My understanding of one difference between the developer and the standard version is that developer - you can go online, and standard - you cannot go online to change code, but you can edit offline and then download to the PLC.

I have been looking at buying a Micrologix PLC for a wee project and asked that question too, but I have not yet had time to check out other features.

I believe that you can password protect the developer version also.

Taken from the AB Knowledge base:

"User-defined data types to aid the programming of a Micro800 controller can only be created with CCW developer (dev.) edition software.

When a project created with CCW dev. edition that contains user-defined data types is opened with CCW standard edition, the user-defined data structures are displayed idendical in CCW standard as in CCW dev. New variables can be declared with the existing user-defined data types in CCW standard, their initial values can be changed, .... As with any variable.

However, with CCW standard edition it is impossible to create new or extra user-defined data types, change the structure in any way (add or remove elements, rename the structure or elements). In other words, the user-defined data structure created with CCW Dev. can be only be used as any native data type when working on the project in CCW standard edition"

lpanek said:
CCW Standard And Developer Versions

JohnCalderwood said:
...I have been looking at buying a Micrologix PLC for a wee project and asked that question too, but I have not yet had time to check out other features.

John,

I think you mean a "Micro800" PLC which would be programmed using Connected Components Workbench (CCW) and not a "MicroLogix" PLC which would be programmed using RSLogix 500?

Forgive my picky ways, but I do try to think of readers being slightly misled or confused when it comes to these minor details.

Regards,
George

JLHA2782,

Welcome to the Forum!

A small piece of advice...

"Taken" is a very good word to describe how you procured the details you have provided here. The information within technote articles on the Rockwell Knowledgebase is copyrighted material. Please, try not to directly and blatantly copy and paste entire answers, or even large parts of answers, here on the Forum. The Forum may find itself in hot water for members doing so.

If you do want to provide some details from within an article then I would advise you to try to convey the information as best you can in your own words.

Or, a better way might be to provide such excellent information by simply creating a URL link to the technote, as I will now demonstrate in the next post...

This technote outlines the basic differences between CCW Standard and Developer Editions...

680300 - Connected Component Workbench (CCW) 8.0 Standard and Developer differences
Access Level: Everyone

lpanek said:
...Does anyone know if program created in the developer version of CCW can be opened using the standard version of the software...

Yes, it can, as long as none of the Programs or User Defined Function Blocks (UDFB) have been password protected, using the Intellectual Property Protection features available in CCW Developer Edition; then CCW Standard Edition should have full access to all aspects of the project.

lpanek said:
...I understand that the additional futures that are reserved for developer version will not be available...

That is correct. Features, such as Project Auditing, Online Editing, Spy Lists, Intellectual Property Protection and the ability to create User-defined Data Types (UDT), will not be available using CCW Standard Edition.

lpanek said:
...I have a customer who does not want to purchase the developer version of the software but he wants to be able to go online with the controller and make changes to the code...

CCW Standard Edition can go online with the controller and view the running code but it cannot perform Online Edits.

lpanek said:
...My programming would be way easier if I could use UDTs but I am wondering if he will be able to work with this version of code...

While CCW Standard Edition cannot create UDTs; the UDTs that are created using CCW Developer Edition will be available to CCW Standard Edition, but cannot be edited.

In short, CCW Standard Edition will not allow them to...

Perform Online Editing
Create their own UDTs
Edit existing UDTs

But it will allow them to...

Edit and download your Developer Project
Use your UDTs

I hope that helps to clarify the situation.

Regards,
George

...And JLHA2782,

Lesson number 2...

Always check the date of the thread you are replying to in case you are answering a 2 year old question! (as I have just done).